Monday, July 18, 2016

It's Monday 7/18! What Are You Reading?

Back to semi-normal around here last week. We came back from our mini vacation at Shenandoah National Park (first round of photos here), our sons came back from sailing with their grandparents, and our older son moved back to campus to start summer session. It's been busy around here, but we are enjoying summer, too.

Here's what we've all been reading this past week:
  • I am still reading a book group selection, Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson. I have never read this award-winning novel before (though I saw the movie adaptation years ago), even though it's been on my Kindle for years. It's a very descriptive novel about a Japanese-American man accused of murder in the years after the Japanese Internment and the events leading up to that time. It takes place on an island off the coast of Washington, and the setting is vividly described, almost like another character in the story. I'm enjoying it so far, but it is a dense book, so it's slower going than I expected.
  • I am still listening to The Secret Language of Sisters by Luanne Rice, a teen/YA novel about one of two sisters who is paralyzed in a car crash and has locked-in syndrome. I'm almost finished, and it's been very good. I texted with my 18-year old cousin yesterday about it - I gave her a copy of the same book (I had both book and audio) when she visited last month. She enjoyed it, too, and we are both determined never to text and drive or text someone else who is driving!
  • My husband, Ken, is still reading The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown, a book I enjoyed for book group last year (my review at the link) and heard the author speak for our local library's All-County Reads program this spring. He's been wanting to read it for a while and seems to be enjoying it.
  • I don't know what Jamie, 21, is reading right now, though I'm sure he read on the sailboat (not so much time for reading now that he's back in school). I was just going to text him and ask, but he's in class right now - is that a good enough reason to interrupt his class, to ask what he's reading??
Lots of blog posts last week, trying to catch up after vacation:
Movie Monday: Twinsters, a joyful documentary about two people finding each other

TV Tuesday: The Last Ship, one of our favorites, a post-apocalyptic story filled with drama

Middle-Grade Graphic Novel Review: Bera the One-Headed Troll by Eric Orchard, a warm adventure story

Teen/YA Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, a strange, supernatural story with plenty of suspense

Saturday Snapshot: Shenandoah National Park, Part 1 - pics from our recent trip - camping & hiking Stony Man Trail - more next week from this amazing park!

Middle-Grade Review: Pax by Sara Pennypacker, a warm, suspenseful, intricate story of the unbreakable bond between a boy and his pet fox

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.


There is still plenty of time to join the Big Book Summer Reading Challenge - eight weeks of summer left! Just click the link to read the rules - super-easy for summer! You only need to read one "big book" (400 pages or more) before September to participate. Join the fun, choose your Big Book(s) & sign up today!


17 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about Pax but have a personal prejudice against talking animal stories. Come see my reading week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pax doesn't talk in the book, Kathy. The story is just told from his perspective in his chapters - like we are hearing his thoughts.

      Delete
  2. What a fun challenge! Yes, I'm trying to read a Lonesome Dove sequel, so I should join in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great blogging week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed Pax. I thought it a special story. And I liked Snow Falling on Cedars very much. Have fun with your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to stop and think if I had read "The Secret Language of Sisters." I thought I had, but your summary was completely foreign to me. So I went back and realized I had read "The Language of Sisters" by Amy Hatvany...ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - hard to keep all these books straight after a while!

      Delete
  6. I hope to read the Luanne Rice book or perhaps listen to the audio. I like her books and while this is YA I am sure I will enjoy it. I read her blog every so often and I see she has had a battle with depression - so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent on audio, Kathryn. Interesting that she battles depression.

      Delete
  7. Sue, I would be honored to host you for your first visit to the Pac NW. Come any time but I recommend spring or summer. Winters here can be pretty dreary. I'd love to meet you in person.

    Golf. Yes I was a skeptic but this particular match was so good. The golf was spectacular. I couldn't help myself from watching.

    Glad your hubby is enjoying Boys in the Boat. Don and I both loved it. We are having fun listening to The Thunderbolt Kid since we were both born in the 1950s there are definitely aspects we can relate with. And yes, Bryson is reading it himself. I love listening to him. His comedic timing is so good.

    I am hoping over to your Big Book challenge next as I just finished a big book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both loved The Thunderbolt Kid! I think it's Bryson's best.

      I would love to visit your region - it's the missing piece in my US coverage! We will be starting to travel more this fall, as the kids will both be in college, so I hope to get out there sometime!

      Sue

      Delete
  8. Snow Falling on Cedars was required reading for me when I was in high school. I will admit that I really hated it. I wonder if I would like it now! I am really interested to hear what you end up thinking about it! I am glad you've returned to semi-normalcy! Semi-normalcy is good! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some of my cousins aren't enjoying it, either (it's for our online family book group). I liked it very much...but it is a slow read, with lots of description. Interesting to read it now - because the bias against Japanese-Americans then is eerily similar to what we are seeing today against Muslim-Americans. Frightening.

      Delete
  9. I haven't read Snow Falling on Cedars for a very long time, but remember loving it. I think they made it into a movie didn't they? I didn't see it because when I enjoy a book, I end up hating the movie. I also enjoyed Pax. Mostly I appreciated that is deals with the atrocities of war. It is also beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a very good movie! I saw the movie many years ago but didn't remember much of the plot. It was actually an excellent movie - might have won awards - but I don't know how closely it stuck to the book. Yes, Pax was wonderful.

      Delete