It was so much fun that four years ago, I created this challenge so that YOU can join me! And here it is Memorial Day weekend again and the official start of summer 2016. So join in the fun!
Hey, it's summer, so we'll keep this low-key and easy!
- Anything over 400 pages qualifies as a big book.
- The challenge will run from Memorial Day weekend (starting May 27
this year) through Labor Day weekend (Labor Day is September 5 this
- Choose one or two or however many big books you want as your goal. Wait, did you get that? You only need to read 1 book with over 400 pages this summer to participate! (though you are welcome to read more, if you want).
- Choose from what's on your shelves already or a big book you've been meaning to read for ages or anything that catches your eye in the library - whatever peaks your interest!
- Sign up on the links list below.
- Write a post to kick things off - you can list the exact big books
you plan to read or just publish your intent to participate, but be
sure to include the Big Book Summer Challenge pic above, with a link
back to this blog.
- Write a post to wrap up at the end, listing the big books you read during the summer.
- You can write progress posts if you want to and/or reviews of the big books you've read...but you don't have to! There is a separate links list below for big book review posts.
(Don't have a blog? No problem! You can still participate in the challenge - just leave a comment in the Comment section, stating your goals for the Big Book Summer Challenge or sign up in the Goodreads group.)
Check out my own list of books to read for the challenge.
New this year: I started a group on Goodreads for the 2016 Big Book Summer Challenge, where we can talk about Big Books and our progress on the challenge. If you don't have a blog, you can also use the Goodreads group to sign up for the challenge, post updates, and show which Big Books you are reading!
At the end of the summer, there will be a Big Book Giveaway! After Labor Day, I'll select one name from among the participants (bloggers who leave a link below as well as those without a blog who leave a comment to announce their participation or participate through the Goodreads group) and will offer the winner a choice from a selection of Big Books from my own shelves - probably most of the titles I read this summer and perhaps a few others to choose from.
And help spread the word on Twitter with #BigBookSummer (you can follow me at @suebookbybook).
Be sure to include a link to your kick off blog post (not your homepage):
Come back to this page during the summer to add a link whenever you review a Big Book or post a progress report: