Monday, March 16, 2015

It's Monday 3/16! What Are You Reading?


Started the new week with a busy morning but now sitting down with a hot cup of herbal tea to write my Monday post. Last week was a good reading week at our house:
  • I am still reading Personal History by Katherine Graham, an autobiography of the Washington Post owner and this month's selection for one of my book groups. It's not only long but very dense, so it's been slow going. I'm not usually a fan of celebrity autobiographies (I'd rather read memoirs about "regular" people), but it is interesting so far...just too long. It's as much a history of the Washington Post as it is her personal history, and I'd prefer more personal stuff and less about the newspaper, politics, and all the famous people they hung out with!
  • I finished listening to The Law of Loving Others by Kate Axelrod, a teen/YA novel about a young girl who comes home from boarding school for winter break to find that her mother has schizophrenia. It was excellent - a very moving story about how a teen tries to cope with such devastating news.
  • Now, I am listening to Finding the Worm by Mark Goldblatt, a middle-grade audio book about a boy whose best friend has cancer. It's set in 1970, and I am loving it so far - it is heartfelt, yes, but also funny and spot-on in its portrayal of middle school kids.
  • My husband, Ken, is reading Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand, part of his goal to read some nonfiction this year. Hillenbrand is a favorite author in our house because she is not only a brilliant writer but also suffers from the same disease as my son and me. What she has accomplished is absolutely amazing.
  • Jamie, 20, has been on a zombie kick in honor of The Walking Dead. I honestly have no idea what he's been reading since he went back to college last month, but I am guessing he is still working his way through the 10 books of the Dead series by T.W. Brown, in between classes, parties, and his new (first-ever!) job.
Busy week here at the blog:
 Order of Books Website - a fun and very useful bookish website!

Review of The Danger Box by Blue Balliett, a middle-grade novel

Review of The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall, a teen/YA thriller

Saturday Snapshot - we transitioned from winter to spring in one week!

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers
  


The snow is all gone!

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to read Seabiscuit at some point. I loved Unbroken. I hope you have a fabulous week of reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did too! It is such a relief to have warmer weather. I've been reading poetry. That's also a little dense, but I've been enjoying it.The biography/memoir sounds interesting even though it's dense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a pretty good week of reading! I read mostly YA but sneak a few in here and there from other genres. Have a great week, happy reading!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snow here in Boston is melting down, my deck is clear, too. Now the snow that's left is that nasty gray mess. I read some good ones this week, Hope you'll stop by. http://ebogie.blogspot.com/2015/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-316.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous that your snow is gone! It was 48 degrees here today (yea!!!), but we still have about three feet. Bleh. My son is not liking being confined to the driveway. Thank you for sharing the (recent) historical fiction set in the 1970s. I love anything set in the past, so I want to listen to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, Personal History IS dense! I think it took me the better part of a month to get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your review of The Danger Box makes me realize what I am missing. I need to read more of her books!
    Happy reading to you and all of your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. Congratulations on the snow melting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love finding out about what your book club is reading. I have three book clubs here with very diverse groups - so I'm always on the lookout for possible book club titles.

    ReplyDelete