Monday, March 02, 2015

It's Monday 3/2! What Are You Reading?


Well, school is closed again today - everything outside is coated in a layer of ice that is now starting to melt - all you can hear outside is dripping & cracking as the ice melts and falls from the trees. Pretty cool.

I struggled again last week with my chronic illness flare-up but am finally starting to feel better. Woke up feeling like myself today for the first time in weeks! So, I'm looking forward to a new week.

Here's what we've all been reading this past week:
  • I finished Picture Perfect, an older novel by Jodi Picoult, last night. My aunt picked it for our online family book group, so we'll start discussing it today. It wasn't quite as accomplished as her later novels but was still a compelling - and disturbing - read.
  • I just started The Danger Box by Blue Balliet, a middle-grade novel from my deep TBR shelves. I needed something quick in between book group books, and I loved Balliet's Hold Fast.
  • I am listening to a new teen/YA novel, The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall, a thriller & romance. It's good so far - engaging and intriguing.
  •  My husband, Ken, finished Fire in the Hole by Elmore Leonard, book 4 in the Raylan Givens series, which is the basis for the TV show Justified. Ken loves the TV show, and has been enjoying the books, too. This one was a series of short stories.
  • Ken started The Quiet Earth by Craig Harrison on his Kindle. It's a "classic" (1981) sci fi novel about a man who wakes up one morning to find that he is the only living being left on the earth. Sounds intriguing!
  • Ken also started Joyland by Stephen King, a novel I bought him for Christmas. It must be good so far because he was laughing out loud last night while reading! He's traveling this week, so he wanted to have something on his Kindle to read and also a small paperback.
  • Jamie, 20, has been on a zombie kick in honor of The Walking Dead coming back to TV recently. He has been working his way through the 10 books of the Dead series by T.W. Brown.
  Three posts last week:
Review of A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra, a stunning novel

Review of I Was Here by Gayle Forman, a teen/YA audio book

Saturday Snapshot, finding the beauty in February

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers
  


Branches coated with ice

16 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better. Looks like you had a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An online family book club sounds fantastic! I would love something like that...except there aren't many readers in my family. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been fun, Melinda! Hard to get in-depth discussions going online, but it's a great way to stay in touch with my far-flung aunts & cousins :)

      Delete
  3. I knew I needed to read Gayle Forman's newest book, but your review really makes me want to.
    I also have never read a Picoult book, but my reader friends all seem to love her. I'll have to pick one up at some point.

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh, Kellee, you MUST read a Picoult novel! I haven't read too many of her more recent ones, but Plain Truth, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister's Keeper are all faves.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you're finally feeling like yourself again! I hope the ice melts soon so things can get back to normal.

    The Quiet Earth sounds intriguing. Lately, I've found myself drawn to sci-fi. I think I'll try reading more of it this year. I'm going to add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some sci fi, too, Julie, and this one does sound intriguing. Now that it's on our Kindle account, I can read it, too!

      Delete
  5. Crazy weather. We have good and you have bad. We've all felt guilty at how the weather was doled out this winter. We could have stood to have a bit of snow, but we got none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got very little snow, too, but what we did get was then covered with ice, so it is rock-hard and still there due to the record-breaking cold temps! Supposed to be 50 and raining all day tomorrow, then snow all day Thursday! Gotta love the beginning of March...I;m ready for warm weather and flowers!

      Delete
  6. I think it's synchronicity, but this afternoon I was going through the shelves, looked at the Blue Balliet books and thought that I should read at least one of them. Students who get into them love them. From your review of Hold Fast, it sounds like a great read. It will be interesting to read what you think of The Danger Box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing, Cherlee! I LOVED Hold Fast - it was one of my favorite books read that year. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. I have enjoyed Piccoult many times! Read her latest if you have not already, Leaving Time. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila -

      I have Leaving Time waiting on my shelf - my husband gave it to me for Christmas. Can't wait to get to it!

      Sue

      Delete
  8. I am glad you are feeling better. The weather outside seems to be doing a number on me. I was feeling too sick to post last night. I am not sure if you find the weather relates to your flare-ups. I hope you have a great week where you feel awesome. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the weather can affect me, Ricki, though that's not the problem right now. I felt great on Monday then rotten again today - sigh. Thanks for the hugs - needed that!

      Delete