Sunday, May 25, 2014

Weekend Cooking 5/25

Each weekend, Beth Fish Reads hosts Weekend Cooking.  This is perfect for me since I love food and cooking almost as much as I love books!

I didn't cook a lot this week - I got worn out at the end of the week, so we went out twice and ditched our Paleo diet for a couple of meals!

But we did have a few good homemade meals this week. One night when my son had friends over, I made his favorite, pulled pork, in the crockpot. However, since we're trying to limit sugar, I left out the typical store-bought barbeque sauce and instead used a dry rub, from a recipe for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork in the summer issue of Low Sugar Living. It was delicious! And so flavorful that I never missed the sauce. Although I had regular kaiser rolls for the boys, I made Paleo Hamburger Buns from the Against All Grain cookbook for my husband and I. They were very good! Alongside the pulled pork sandwiches, we had homemade cole slaw (I used the recipe from the Cooking Light Slow Cooker Tonight! cookbook). All in all, a great meal.

Another night, I made one of my own recipes, Holubtsi in a Pot. Holubtsi is the Ukrainian word for cabbage rolls, staple of holidays in my family. This is a simple but delicious recipe that uses the same ingredients (minus the rice, to keep it Paleo). I've included it below.

Hope you are enjoying great food and fun cooking this holiday weekend!

Be sure to check out my Big Book Summer Challenge and join the fun!

 
-->
Holubtsi in a Pot
(Serves 4)
A simple, Paleo version of a traditional Ukrainian favorite

1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp butter or ghee
1 pound lean ground beef (grass-fed, organic if you are eating Paleo)
1 large onion, chopped
16 oz. chopped tomatoes (we like Pomi, with no BPA)
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
sea salt & pepper to taste

Whole wheat egg noodles, cooked per instructions (optional)

In a large skillet, sauté onion in butter/ghee and olive oil until soft. Add ground beef to skillet and sauté until brown. Add tomatoes and cabbage, reduce heat to medium, and cover skillet. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

If you are eating Paleo, serve as is. For family members who eat grains, serve over whole wheat egg noodles.

© Suzan L. Jackson 2014
(Do not reprint or publish without written permission from the author)

     

4 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds good. I love to see people's family recipes for stuffed cabbage. My grandmother's is a little different from this and my husband's grandmother's (born in Ukraine) is very similar to this. I haven't had this meal in ages. I should make it before it gets too hot out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious. I love stuffed cabbage, but haven't made it for years - thanks for the reminder for a delicious meal that would be perfect for the cold, wintry evenings we are experiencing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made cabbage rolls in ages. Daughter and I are planning to make some with grape leaves. We have eaten them out, but they are always so salty that I can't enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe and great book rec. Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks for linking up with the #smallvictoriessundaylinky! You've been pinned to the group board. :)

    ReplyDelete