Monday, June 03, 2013

It's Monday 6/3! What Are You Reading?


Chaotic and busy here last week!  My college son came home from school, along with all of his friends, old and new. Our house has been filled with college kids all week (not that I mind). My high school son has final exams this week and is still trying to finish up make-up work from his last surgery by the end of the week...when he will have yet another (hopefully last) knee surgery. So, busy, busy here and no more alone time for mom!

And it's June already! So, be sure to check out my annual Big Book Summer Challenge so you can enjoy a book-ish summer. It's super low-key - you only have to read one (or more) books of 400 pages or more by September to participate. So join the fun!

I did a lot of blogging here last week due to Armchair BEA...but then had no time for writing reviews! Anyway, we all had a good reading week:
  • I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (my second time) for my online family book group this month . It was just as amazing as I remembered - I cried as I read the last pages last night. It counts as my first Big Book of the summer
  • I am still listening to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne on audio (almost done now).  It's been weird reading/listening to two different books about children set during the Holocaust at the same time. This one is also excellent, told from the unique point of view of a young boy who is completely ignorant of the horrors that are going on around him.
  • Today, I will start Blue Asylum by Kathy Hepinstall for my local library's book discussion next week.
  • My husband, Ken, finished reading A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin, book 3 in his A Song of Ice and Fire series.  Woohoo!  He deserves a round of applause for that one at 1200 pages! That's HIS first Big Book of the Summer.
  • He took my advice and is now reading The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson which blew me away. He says he's having trouble getting into it, so I hope he likes it.
  • Jamie, 18, is thrilled to be home for the summer and to finally have some time for fun reading! He finished Book 3 in the Heroes of Olympus, The Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan. He and a college friend were reading the series together, and they both loved it!
  • Jamie is now reading The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller. He says it's great so far!
No reviews last week but lots of posts about books and more:

Armchair BEA Posts:
Snapshot Saturday - my purple irises.
Weekend Cooking - feeding hungry college students and a couple of Rachael Ray recipes.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.)   

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read any but at least have heard of all your books, sounds like a great reading week.

    I have the Book Thief but I think because it is a 'big book' I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marce -

    Oh, you have to find time for The Book Thief - it is so good! And, actually, it's a pretty quick read - only took me a week. It does have a lot of pages, but it's not densely written and there is a lot of white space on the pages - short chapters, etc.

    You should join the Big Book Summer Challenge and finally read it!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Book Thief! I think I might re-read it. Boy in the Striped Pajamas broke my heart. I love to see what your boys are reading and think I might go back and read some of your back posts for some ideas for summer reading for my Sam!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim -

    I'd love for you to go back and read my past posts here, but if you are looking for reading ideas for your son, I have an entire blog devoted to kids' and teen/YA books! Lots of ideas there - and I only review books that I like (or my kids like), so check it out:

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you like Blue Asylum. I really enjoyed that one! I hope your son's finals go smoothly and that you get some alone time soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Book Thief is one of the next books I'm going to read. I'm reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Forever in Blue by Ann Brashares.

    ReplyDelete