Monday, March 21, 2016

It's Monday 3/21! What Are You Reading?

I'm mostly recovered now from my bout of flu/bronchitis - just a little cough left. I had another week of not getting a whole lot done, though I did start to get caught up on blogging, so hurray for me!

Here's what we all enjoyed reading this past week:
  • I finished reading The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick for my online family book group. It's a quirky novel about a 39-year old man who's just lost his mother to cancer and is adjusting to life on his own...in part by writing letters to Richard Gere, whom his mother admired. It was classic Quick - funny and a bit strange but also warm and dealing with serious issues around mental illness. The story and characters seemed light at first but really grew on me as I read.
  • Now, I am reading my next review book for Publishers Weekly, The Book That Matters Most by Ann Hood. This is my first Ann Hood novel, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's about a woman who is still reeling from her husband leaving her for another woman a year ago. She joins her friend's book group and begins to heal, bit by bit, book by book.
  • I started a new YA audiobook last week, Becoming Maria: Love and Chaos in the South Bronx by Sonia Manzano. It's a memoir written by the woman who has played Maria on Sesame Street for over 45 years. Sesame Street started when I was 6 years old, so I grew up on it and then watched it with my own sons. Maria's voice sounds sooo familiar to me, and her story is fascinating. It's wonderful, and I've been totally engrossed in it right from the beginning.
  • My husband, Ken, is reading a Christmas gift from me, The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. This is the continuation of Stieg Larsson's Millennium series starring the character Lisbeth Salander. We both loved the first three books and hope that this new author is able to fill Larsson's shoes. So far, Ken says it's living up to the first three novels.
  • Jamie, 21, is reading The Good Knight, A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 1 by Sarah Woodbury.
 Finally caught up on some reviews last week:
TV Tuesday: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, an uplifting & fun comedy on Netflix

Fiction Review: The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion, sequel to the warm & funny The Rosie Project

Teen/YA Review: The Cage by Megan Shepherd, a unique & engrossing sci fi story

Saturday Snapshot 3/19: First Signs of Spring

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

14 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! These illnesses have been horrid this year! I have never read Ann Hood, but she's on my TO-DO list. I am glad to hear you loved it. "Reeling" is always a word that catches my eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure I'd like the Hood novel at first - was worried it might be a bit too chick-lit for me - but I am totally into it now. There is a side story about the main character's college-aged daughter being in trouble that adds some suspense. It's great so far!

      Delete
  2. I love Matthew Quick, but I haven't read any of his adult books. It is good to hear that they are very similar to his YA books.
    What is your online family book club?

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just an informal group I started a few years ago with my cousins and aunts - we are all spread out now and only see each other once or twice a year, but we all like to read. So, we take turns choosing books (every 2 months) and then have a discussion in our Facebook group. I am still trying to figure out how to keep the discussion moving online - it often fizzes out too soon. A work in progress, but if nothing else, it is fun to share the same book with my far-flung family!

      Delete
  3. Oh I loved Stieg Larrson series and haven't read the latest one for fear that it will be a disappointment. Maybe someday I'll pick it up. Glad your husband is enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says it reads very much like the first 3 books, so you should give it a try!

      Delete
  4. I think I will pick up my own copy of The Girl in the Spider's Web next - really enjoyed the Millennium Trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is enjoying it so far and says it is very much like the first 3 books.

      Delete
  5. Oh. I have wanted to read BECOMING MARIA. I think I will look for it. I sure hope you are feeling tip-top soon. You must be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne -

      I finished Becoming Maria yesterday and it was SO good!!! Especially on audio because her voice is so familiar. I never wanted it to end :)

      Delete
  6. Nice reading week...you got a lot of books read.

    I can only read one book a week. :(

    ENJOY this week of reading.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth -

      I can only read one book a week, too! If you'll notice, this list covers my whole family, not just me. I usually can manage 1 book a week, plus I usually have an audio going at all times. Longer books take me even longer!

      Delete
  7. I'm excited to hear that Ann Hood has a new book coming out. One of her earlier books, The Obituary Writer, is one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that was a great book, Nancy - will have to look for that one next!

      Delete