Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Books Read in January


No, that's not a typo - yes, it is now early March, and yes, I am just now summarizing January! Definitely a slow start to the year in blogging, but I am catching up!

Fortunately, it was a good start to the year for reading. Here's what I finished reading in January:





So, I read 5 books in January - not too bad since The Secret History took me a long time to finish. It was an all-fiction month, with three adult novels and two for teen/YA. And I listened to two audiobooks. I think my favorite of the month was Solitaire - the author captured a real-life combination of serious problems, humor, and typical teen experiences.

Progress on 2016 Reading Challenges:
This is my favorite part of my monthly summary - updating my Reading Challenges! These are mostly new for this year. Click the link to see them all and check out my progress. Slow start to my Read Your Own Damn Books Challenge - only one of these was a TBR book from my shelf! For the Monthly Motif Reading Challenge, The Art Thief fit nicely into the Who Dunnit?category for January - so far, so good!  No nonfiction yet for my 2016 Nonfiction Reading Challenge or classics for the 2016 Classics Challenge. For my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge, I read two books with international settings and both dealt with their respective cultures in some depth, so I covered Europe quite nicely in January!

What were your favorite books read in January (if you remember back that far)?

10 comments:

  1. You had a good January. I still remember reading The Secret History on the beaches of Aruba about 10 years ago. Loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny, Diane, how you can remember exactly where and when you read particular books? I started this one on the beach in Jamaica but it was a bit too dark for vacation! I resumed reading it after I got home :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for reading two books for our Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge! Not that I need to add more books to my TBR but The Art Thief sounds like one I would like. I finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini for our readalong which was also my first one for Read My Own Damn Books. Must read faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, Tanya - I wasn't sure I'd like it but I did. Hope you liked And the Mountains Echoed - awesome book!

      Delete
  3. I had two favorites for January-Invisible by James Patterson and More Than Magic by Donna June Cooper-both were 5 star books!!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/03/coloring-corner-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, high praise, Joann - sounds good!

      Delete
  4. The Secret History took me a long time to read too. There's just so much to take in! Beautiful writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only one! It was a very dense book - like you said, a lot to take in.

      Delete
  5. We love Baltimores Inner harbor. Have visited several times for aquarium, ball park etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Diane! I went there a few times as a kid but now that we live only an hour away, we go fairly often.

      Delete