Monday, October 20, 2014

It's Monday 10/20! What Are You Reading?


Last week was a good one. I finally recovered from my recent infections and was feeling good again, and the weather was perfect for fall! It was such a joy to be outdoors and moving again.

It was a good reading week, too, with lots of October spookiness, as my month of Murder, Monsters & Mayhem continues!:
  • I finished Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley on my Kindle. It was different than I expected, fascinating and thoughtful, more about human nature than monsters. I really enjoyed it.
  • Now I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, which has been on my shelf for over a year, recommended by both my husband and my mother. It's excellent - really compelling - and I'm enjoying it much more than Gone Girl (by the same author) which had an interesting plot but really unlikable characters.
  • I also started Ghostopolis, a middle-grade graphic novel by Doug TenNapel. I've been meaning to read it for years, and it caught my eye at the used bookstore last week, so I grabbed it. Good Halloween-y reading!
  • I finished listening to Nightmares! by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller, a new release middle-grade audio perfect for the season, where a young boy suspects his new step-mother of being a witch, as his nightmares turn real. It far exceeded my expectations.
  • I started - and finished - another audio book, Falling In Place by Amy Zhang, a teen/YA novel about a young girl who tries to commit suicide and ends up in the hospital barely clinging to life after her car accident. There are a lot of flashbacks to the events and years leading up to her suicide attempt, and a mysterious narrator adds an element of supernatural-seeming mystery. It covered some serious topics but was also a good story and kept me listening.
  • My husband, Ken, finished reading The Demon Plagues by David VanDyke, book 2 (though really, book 4) in the Plague Wars series. He'se enjoying this post-apocalyptic thriller series, though he said this week's Ebola news made it all seem a little too real!
  • Now, Ken is reading The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes, about a time-traveling serial killer that I read earlier this month. I think he'll like it.
  • Jamie, 20, is still reading The Drowning City by Amanda Downum, Necromancer Chronicles Book 1.
 I wrote a few blog posts last week, though I need to catch up on reviews:

Review of Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer, a teen/YA novel with a supernatural twist

Summary of Books Read in September

Saturday Snapshot, featuring Delaware's fall colors from last week
 And, I just realized on Sunday that the Wonderfully Wicked Read-A-Thon hosted by My Shelf Confessions that I signed up for actually began on Friday (it runs from October 17 - 27)! Oops - so I got off to a slow start, but the guidelines say you can participate for any portion of the week...so there is still plenty of time to sign up!

What are you and your family reading this week?    

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers
 
  

7 comments:

  1. Frankenstein is great, right? I liked Ghostopolis, too. Good time of year to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've had a lot of reading time! That's great. I'm glad you're feeling better too. I got off to a slow start with the readathon as well, but ended up reading a lot more than expected yesterday to catch up a bit. :-)

    Have a great week! And stop over to check out my blogiversary giveaway. Can you believe I've been doing this for 5 years?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Doug TenNapel--his graphic novels are so clever! I hope you enjoy Ghostopolis :) My favorite is Bad Island.

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hosting a readathon for Halloween, can't wait! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear you finished Frankenstein! I still haven't read it. Everyone who has says, "It was different than I expected." I need to read it, so then I can understand what you all mean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are really on a good, spooky run for Halloween! Hope you enjoy them all. I've never read Frankenstein--one of these days I will have to rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the variety of books you read. I just finished This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash and loved it. I am reading a Christmas novel for review now and then a book about Paris.

    ReplyDelete