Sunday, September 22, 2013

Weekend Cooking 9/22


Each weekend, Beth Fish Reads hosts Weekend Cooking.  This is perfect for me since I love food and cooking almost as much as I love books!

I didn't cook much this past week. We are in the thick of soccer season, so our evenings have been hectic. Most of my son's games are at 5 pm (definitely not a mom scheduling games at dinnertime!) and some are up to an hour away, so I'm not coming home at 7 or 8 pm to cook! We did make a few simple meals and ate out or got take-out a lot more than we normally do.

A few good homemade meals stand out from this week, though:

On Monday, I made a super-quick family favorite after a 4:30 home game: Chorizo-Tortilla Tortilla...or simply Mexican Frittata, as we call it! This is one of the few Rachel Ray recipes I use, and I've adjusted it a bit - fewer eggs (she uses 12 eggs for 4 people!), fewer tortilla chips, less cheese - but generally, I follow the recipe. It's my family's favorite kind of frittata and perfect for a busy weeknight.

Between that meal and this next one, Southwestern Shrimp Taco Salad, I used up the last of the summer tomatoes, bell peppers, and jalapenos from our CSA, plus some delicious late-season lettuce we picked up this week there. We all love this particular taco salad recipe (the shrimp helps with my seafood-loving son!), and it was a nice, quick, summery meal during this warm and busy week.

And, though the end of the week was even busier, with two more soccer games and houseguests for the weekend, I made use of a lovely bunch of kale from the CSA on Friday to make myself Roasted Sausage with Warm Beans and Kale for lunch and then had the leftovers Saturday night when the rest of my family went to a football game. This is a delicious and super-simple recipe that I got from a previous post at Beth Fish Reads, host of Weekend Cooking. This one has become a favorite - thanks, Beth!

Tonight, I think I will make use of some of the fall veggies we got at this week's CSA and make Roasted Turnips, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, and Dried Cranberries as a side dish with...um...something. That's as far as I've gotten so far in planning.

Hope you are enjoying some good food and cooking this week!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you're enjoying the kale dish! That shrimp taco salad looks perfect for us, I'm going to have to give that one a try. And yes, I'm with you on cutting down on the fats in Rachel Ray recipes.

    ReplyDelete