Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Top Ten Book Group Books

TEN FOR TUESDAY

I currently belong to two book groups and used to go to two others that have now disbanded. The books on this week’s list are ones that were not only enjoyed by most, if not all, group members but that generated great discussions, too. I tried to skip over the obvious choices – everyone knows that The Kite Runner and To Kill A Mockingbird are great for book groups – to include some that you may not have read yet.

Need a good selection for your book group? Try one of these (links to reviews are provided where available):

  • March by Geraldine Brooks (civil war novel about the father from Little Women)
  • River of Doubt by Candice Millard (NF - Teddy Roosevelt’s journey up the Amazon)
  • The Innocent Man by John Grisham (NF – man on death row is innocent)
  • Infidel by Aayan Hirsi Ali (memoir by Muslim woman in Africa and Middle East)
  • The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar (novel about class differences in India)
  • Too Close to the Falls by Catherine Glidner (hilarious memoir about growing up in the 50’s)
  • Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (novel about woman in Germany during WWII)
  • The Nine by Jeffrey Toomis (NF – about Supreme Court)
  • China Run by David Ball (suspenseful novel about a Chinese adoption)
  • People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (fictionalized story of a Hebrew book that survived centuries)
So, I have another book group discussion next week and can use some more good ideas – what books do you recommend for book groups?

P.S. If you like Top Ten lists, check out my son's new list of Top Ten Fantasy Series at Great Books for Kids and Teens.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sue...I just joined a book group, so this list is great! I loved The Space Between Us --excellent; Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post can just in the nick of time. I have to pick a book for the book club that I run at the library by next Wednesday and I was just starting to try to figure it out. I will now use your list as a starting off point. Some recommendations:

    The Help by Kathryn Stockett
    Mudbound by Hilary Jordan
    The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa

    These are two recent book club selections that everyone really loved.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book recommendations. I don't have time to do a book club with my two (soon to be 3) little ones around. I often find the books that are being read for the library book club and find they are usually quite enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe this...of these ten books my clubs have only read one of these book MARCH by Brooks. What would your top ten book club books today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are still all great choices, Anne! Some of the more recent books my book groups have given the highest ratings to include The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon, The Boys in the Boat, Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt, The Buddha in the Attic, and The House Girl.

      Delete