Saturday, July 02, 2016

Saturday Snapshot 7/2: Shenandoah National Park, 2004 - 2015


Saturday Snapshot is hosted by West Metro Mommy Reads.


My husband and I are planning a short trip to Shenandoah National Park this week. Shenandoah is one of our family's favorite places and was often our first stop on our annual 3-week summer road trip each year. There is so much varied terrain there - waterfalls, overlooks & views, forests, rocks - that each trip is unique. Here are a few past highlights from one of our favorite National Parks:


2004: Sons' favorite spot to look over the mountains, near our favorite campsite

Doyles River Falls

Bearfence Mountain Trail sometimes goes straight UP!

My son & I on top of Bearfence Mountain

Blackrock Summit Trail, with its huge pile of boulders

Our sons love to climb the rocks on Blackrock Summit Trail

Sunset at Shenandoah

Last summer, on Lands Run Falls Trail, in the fog.


Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys really love Shenandoah! I enjoy trekking in the woods as well. I definitely want to visit this area! Thanks for sharing.

    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do! It's the National Park closest to our home, about a 5 hr drive, so we've been there a lot.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:21 AM

    Beautiful photos! I love the mountains in the distance when you are standing up on the rocks. They seem to go on and on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those famous Blue Ridge Mountains - beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful that the whole family can enjoy this hiking trip. Looks like a lot of fun in that beautiful park. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many trips over many years!

      Delete
  4. It's great how much you get out there amongst it, this looks like such a lovely park, I'm sure you'll have another amazing visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great place to visit. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! One of our favorites :)

      Delete
  6. Climbing rocks used to be my thing when I was a kid, too, but I quickly outgrew the urge to scramble up places especially after encountering my first surprise snake. Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha - that waterfall hike in the first photo, Anne? We saw 2 big snakes on that hike - a 4-foot long black rat snake lying flat on a branch hanging over the trail (not such a big deal since they are non-poisonous) and a copperhead, curled up alongside some wild raspberries, as I was reaching down to pick them! My foot was inches from it - very big deal!! My kids still love to tell that story, and it was 12 years ago :)

      Delete
  7. Great pictures! I have always wanted to visit Shenandoah. Sigh...maybe in a couple of years!

    ReplyDelete