Here's what we all enjoyed reading this past week:
- I finished reading The Good Luck of Right Now by Matthew Quick for my online family book group. It's a quirky novel about a 39-year old man who's just lost his mother to cancer and is adjusting to life on his own...in part by writing letters to Richard Gere, whom his mother admired. It was classic Quick - funny and a bit strange but also warm and dealing with serious issues around mental illness. The story and characters seemed light at first but really grew on me as I read.
- Now, I am reading my next review book for Publishers Weekly, The Book That Matters Most by Ann Hood. This is my first Ann Hood novel, and I'm enjoying it so far. It's about a woman who is still reeling from her husband leaving her for another woman a year ago. She joins her friend's book group and begins to heal, bit by bit, book by book.
- I started a new YA audiobook last week, Becoming Maria: Love and Chaos in the South Bronx by Sonia Manzano. It's a memoir written by the woman who has played Maria on Sesame Street for over 45 years. Sesame Street started when I was 6 years old, so I grew up on it and then watched it with my own sons. Maria's voice sounds sooo familiar to me, and her story is fascinating. It's wonderful, and I've been totally engrossed in it right from the beginning.
- My husband, Ken, is reading a Christmas gift from me, The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz. This is the continuation of Stieg Larsson's Millennium series starring the character Lisbeth Salander. We both loved the first three books and hope that this new author is able to fill Larsson's shoes. So far, Ken says it's living up to the first three novels.
- Jamie, 21, is reading The Good Knight, A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 1 by Sarah Woodbury.
TV Tuesday: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, an uplifting & fun comedy on Netflix
Fiction Review: The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion, sequel to the warm & funny The Rosie Project
Teen/YA Review: The Cage by Megan Shepherd, a unique & engrossing sci fi story
Saturday Snapshot 3/19: First Signs of Spring
What are you and your family reading this week?
What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.