Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Books Read in December

Happy Holiday Month

I enjoyed some outstanding reading in December. Here are the books that I finished last month:

  • Educated by Tara Westover (ID) - adult nonfiction memoir
  • Plainsong by Kent Haruf (CO) - adult fiction 





(Any of the links above will take you to a post with short mini-reviews of all of my December books.) 

I read seven books in all, six of them in print and just one on audio (it was a long one!). Six of the books were adult, with just one middle-grade graphic novel. And all but one of my books was fiction, with one memoir added to the mix. My favorite book read in December was Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano, which was outstanding--moving, powerful, warm, and hopeful--but every one of the books I read in December was excellent in its own way.

Progress in 2020 Reading Challenges:
You can see all of the reading challenges I am participating in and full lists of the books read for each at the challenges link above. I have some fun ones going this year!


Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2020 - I read four more books from my own shelves last month. So why are our shelves still so full?
2020 Monthly Motif Reading Challenge - December was Sugar Spice & Everything Nice, so I chose Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano, which is definitely not a light read, but it is hopeful, uplifting, and a "hug it to your chest" book.
Back to the Classics 2020 - No classics in December.
PopSugar Reading Challenge - this is a unique one. Most of my categories are filled now, so I wasn't able to check off any of the few remaining ones.
2020 Nonfiction Reader's Challenge - Just one of my books in December was nonfiction,
Educated by Tara Westover.
2020 Diversity Reading Challenge - Just two of my books in December were diverse, but one of them fit into the monthly category of religious minorites, Educated by Tara Westover.
Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge - I traveled to France for the first time in the year, and back to the UK.
2020 Literary Escapes Challenge - I added four new states, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, and New Jersey, which is tough to do at this time of year.
2020 Big Book Summer Challenge - Ended in September, with a grand total of ten for me this year.

RIP XV -  Finished, with a total of 16 books read this fall.

And finally, Bookish Bingo hosted by Chapter Break - not really a challenge per se, but a fun game that I play each month! Stop by to print out this month's Bingo card and play along. In November, I filled 18 spaces on my bingo card:

 


Spaces Filled:

Educated - goals, new skills, red on cover

Plainsong - shelf love, not a new release, not set in current times, marriage, set in winter, presents

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue - prophecy, audio book

Displacement - not in a series, free book

Dear Edward - flying/flight, library book, book club read

Finders Keepers - read a physical book, in a series

The Midnight Library - magic, sci fi

Free Space


What was your favorite book read in December?

2 comments:

  1. Great month of reading and a good way to end the year.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete