Monday, May 14, 2018

It's Monday 5/14! What Are You Reading?

Whew, another exhausting weekend! We drove to Connecticut Friday evening to spend the weekend with my family for my mom's birthday and Mother's Day (fun but tiring) then rushed home Sunday in time for our son to get to work and to celebrate my father-in-law's 93rd birthday! Lots of celebrations (and cake) this weekend. It was good to see everyone and spend time together. Now we have less than two weeks until my oldest son's college graduation! Yikes - I need to plan the party, order announcements, etc.

Even in the midst of noise and chaos, we still enjoy our books. Here's what we've been reading this past week:
  • I finished another Booktopia book, My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul, the editor of the New York Times Book Review and host of its weekly book podcast. I enjoyed this memoir told through books and could relate to some of her experiences.
  • Now, I am reading Fates & Furies by Lauren Groff for one of my book groups this week. I'm not sure what to think of this one so far - it's a little weird. It's the story of a marriage, told first from the husband's perspective and then from the wife's. The narrative style is strange, though - third-person (an odd choice, I think, given the concept behind the novel) and a bit distanced. Also, I suspect that I am missing a bunch of mythological and literary references! We'll see how it goes - I'm not even halfway yet.
  • I am still listening to The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah on audio, a novel I had heard rave reviews of. It's been excellent (I am nearing the end) and compelling. It starts in 1974, with a 13-year old girl as the main character, about a family that moves to Alaska. The husband/father was a POW in Vietnam and is clearly suffering from PTSD (though that diagnosis didn't exist back then) and moves the family to a remote cabin in Alaska impulsively. Things go well at first (it was summer!), but once winter begins, his mental condition deteriorates rapidly. Since he is at times abusive, parts of the book are difficult to listen to, but it's a moving, immersive, and powerful story.
  • My husband, Ken, is reading The Troop by Nick Cutter, a thriller I gave to my dad as a gift that was among the many books we inherited from him when he died three years ago. Ken and I both love reading his old books because he shared our love of reading, and it makes him feel close. I have heard this one is a bit gruesome, but my dad loved it!
  • I'm guessing that our son, Jamie, 23, is still reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. He is on book 7, A Crown of Swords, but without much reading time. Graduation is just two weeks away, so he is super busy with both school and job hunting.
Blog posts from last week:
TV Tuesday: Instinct - a funny detective show starring Alan Cumming

Author Interview & Fiction Review: My Ex-Life by Stephen McCauley - insightful & funny

Fiction Review: The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin - 4 siblings learn the dates of their deaths

Fiction Review: All the Beautiful Lies by Peter Swanson - a twisty & suspenseful mystery set in Maine

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.


What are you and your family reading this week?  
 
You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.  
3 generations: Grandad, Dad, and son!
 

12 comments:

  1. Talk about being busy! Glad you still found time to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always!! My reading time at the end of the day is sacred :)

      Delete
  2. Awww. I love the three generation photo. We used to make sure to get those any chance we had, before I moved my family off (nearly a thousand miles away, sniff). The Great Alone sounds really good. I'll have to see if we have that one in my neck of the woods. Have a wonderful reading week, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shaye! You should be able to find The Great Alone - new release and already a bestseller!

      Hope you are enjoying your camping trip - sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  3. The memoir sounds interesting and good to hear you are still enjoying The Great Alone. Lot of travel done. Do hope your June will be quieter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Alone was excellent - tough in places but very good. Thanks - I hope for a nice quiet June, too!

      Delete
  4. I have The Great Alone on my shelf... just need to remember to choose it when I am ready to begin a new book! Have a wonderful time at your son's graduation. My daughter's high school graduation is in early June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent, Helen - highly recommended.

      Oh, exciting times for you, too!

      Delete
  5. Happy Mother's Day! I am jealous that you made it to CT. My family is there, and I miss them! I am intrigued by My Life with Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ricki! I didn't know you had family in CT - where about? My mom is in Norwalk and my sister is just outside Hartford.

      Delete
  6. I own a copy of Fates and Furies but haven't had a chance to read it yet. The photo of the men in your life looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear what you think, Myra!

      Delete