Friday, May 18, 2018

Books Read in April

April was a busy reading month, mostly focused on preparation for Booktopia (summary coming soon!). In April, I finished:



Wow, what an excellent reading month! I loved every one of these, and the audio books were especially good. I finished 7 books, all fiction, in April.  Six books were adult fiction and just one was middle-grade/teen. I listened to three of them on audio. They were all very good, but She Rides Shotgun was my favorite for the month - and it just won an Edgar Award for Best New Novel! Give it a try.

Progress in 2018 Reading Challenges:
This is my favorite part of my monthly summary - updating my Reading Challenges, though I didn't make much progress this month. With all those Booktopia and review books, I read only 1 book from my own shelves (again) for my Mount TBR Reading Challenge, bringing my total-to-date to only 9. Since my annual goal this year is 36, I have a long way to go! For the Monthly Motif Reading Challenge, April was Read Locally. Since books set in my current state of Delaware are rare, I counted the two books I read set in my home state of New York. Nothing new for the Back to the Classics Challenge. I added She Rides Shotgun by Jordan Harper as "an award-winning book" for the 2018 Badass Books ChallengeI added Cuba and Syria (both in Refugee) for my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge. For my 2018 Literary Escapes Challenge, I added two new states - SC and ME (so many NY and CA's!).
 
Finally, Bookish Bingo hosted by Chapter Break - not really a challenge per se, but a fun game that I play each month. I filled in 17 squares in April: 



Spaces filled in:
The Immortalists - siblings, bright colors on cover, shelf love
She Rides Shotgun - girl power, road trip
Before We Were Yours - read a physical book, lawyer
Refugee - current events, one-word title
Anatomy of a Miracle - library book
The Woman in the Window - birthday, audio book
Beautiful Lies - cold case mystery
Free Space

What was your favorite book read in April?    

7 comments:

  1. Great work on 17 squares! Thanks for playing along :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite book read in April was #23 on my list for 2018: The Girl on the Train ~ by Paula Hawkins, 2015, fiction (England). Click the link to read my list and a short quote from this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good one, Bonnie! Now you need to watch the movie - we liked that, too.

      Delete
  3. What a great reading month! My reading is also going well and I've just begun How Far She's Come by Holly Brown, which seems good so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I always enjoy Holly Brown - I loved The Doll Bones (nice & creepy!). Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. April was a good reading month for you! I am looking forward to The Immortalists later this myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good - I hope you enjoy it. Almost time for Big Book Summer, Jane - hope you'll be joining the fun again this year!

      Delete