Friday, February 24, 2017

Books Read in January

It took me a while to catch up on reviews, but here - finally - is my January summary of books read. It was an excellent reading month. Starting the year out sick for two weeks gave me extra reading time!


  • 'Round Midnight by Laura McBride (NV), adult fiction - reviewed an outside publication
  • The Whip by Karen Kondazian (RI, CA), adult fiction

 Wow, 8 books in all! That's a lot for me in one month. It was an all-fiction month for me, with a mix of adult and middle-grade fiction, including one graphic novel. Not a single audiobook because the one I was listening to at the start of the month quit suddenly, and the second one I started went into February. I enjoyed all of these novels - most very much - but it's easy to pick a favorite. I LOVED Dark Matter, as did my husband - sooo compelling & original!

Progress on 2017 Reading Challenges:
This is my favorite part of my monthly summary - updating my Reading Challenges! I kicked off my Read Your Own Damn Books Challenge in a big way, with 6 TBR books! For the Monthly Motif Reading Challenge, January was Diversity month - 'Round Midnight fit that bill, with plenty of diverse characters.  No classics yet for the 2017 Back to the Classics Challenge. I slotted all 8 books into categories for my Well-Rounded Challenge. For my Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge, I kicked off the year with 2 international books, set in the UK and France/Germany. I added 5 states to my 2017 Literary Escapes Challenge.


Finally, Bookish Bingo hosted by Chapter Break - not really a challenge per se, but a fun game that I play each month! Here is my Bingo card for January, with 12 squares filled in - not very good for 8 books!








Books Read for each square:


Dark Matter - Rated 4 or more stars
The Honest Truth - pets, exercise, winter weather
Mighty Jack - Pictures in a book, free book, zombie/plague/mutations
Dept. of Speculation - blue cover
'Round Midnight - diversity
Friends for Life - shelf-love book (aka TBR)
All the Light We Cannot See - more than 400 pages


What was your favorite book read in January?

6 comments:

  1. You did some great reading in January. I haven't done monthly round ups for a few years, but I like seeing your challenges at the end of the month. Maybe I'll include that in my every-other-week Sunday Salon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I like the monthly summary because it gives me a chance to catch up on my challenges so I'm not way behind at the end of the year! I should also use the monthly summary to add reviews to my full list of reviews - just thought of that!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great reading month and way to go knocking off 2 for Travel the World in Books! I will have to check out Dark Matter. I had a great reading month in January, I read 5 which is a lot for me but have yet to finish one in Feb, eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! Yes, we both loved Dark Matter! Wow, 5 is a lot in one month!

      Delete
  3. I think 12 squares is still great. Unless you plan your reading by the bingo card you won't always get books to line up heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I usually play Bingo by going over the card at the end of the month & matching up what I read!

      Delete