Tuesday, October 08, 2013

October is Dangerous Reads Month


Just like last year, Tanya Patrice over at Girlxoxo has inspired me to celebrate October with spooky, seasonal books. She has declared this October Dangerous Reads Month, and I am joining in on the fun here! Thanks - as always - for the inspiration, Tanya, and for the very cool image!

I've been trying to read lots of TBR books this year since my shelves are overflowing, so I searched through my many bookcases when I read about Dangerous Reads Month. I don't have a lot of classic horror novels waiting, but I've come up with several dangerous choices to squeeze in among my book group books this month:

  • Unbroken by Paula Morris - what better way to kick off a spooky month than with a teen/YA ghost story set in New Orleans? Loving it so far!
  • Unwholly by Neal Schusterman, the second book in his teen/YA dystopian trilogy about a society that can "unwind" a teen before they turn 18. This one's been waiting patiently on my shelf for a year now, and book #3 comes out next month.
  • A couple of Laura Lippman novels to choose from - I figured that a good murder mystery is plenty dangerous, and my husband has read a few of these that I haven't gotten to yet.
  • I am currently listening to In the After by Demitria Lunetta, a teen/YA post-apocalyptic novel about a teen girl and a toddler trying to survive in a world that's been taken over by human-eating aliens - ew!
  • And I encouraged my husband to join the fun - he's just started NOS4A2 by Joe Hill, a Father's Day gift that I gave him - I've heard it's super-creepy.
So, those are my plans. How about you? What will you read for this spooky, dangerous month?

If you need some ideas, check out my 2010 Top Ten lists of Books for Halloween for grown-ups and Top Ten Books for Halloween for kids and teens/YA.

4 comments:

  1. Tanya from Girl xoxo is great, I love her pictures and her challenge ideas. Have fun with your spooky reads. I just started Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone which my book club is reading (and my first time reading it). It's not dangerous but about time I got to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - happy to have you join in! I recently finished NOS42 and I liked it - so I'm excited to see what your hubs thinks of it! And murder mysteries are perfect for this time of year too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya #1 -

    I think Harry Potter is perfect for October! Witches and wizards and all kinds of creepy stuff! Can't believe you are reading it for the first time...hope you enjoy it!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. Yea, my son was on my case to read it. We've seen all the movies but of course, I loved the book. Look forward to reading the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete