Monday, January 28, 2013

It's Monday 1/28! What Are You Reading?


We had a very busy week here! We took our sons and two friends up to the Poconos to my mom's house for a weekend of snowboarding, to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. The boys all had a blast, and I finally got some reading time, in front of the fire in the condo!

Here's what we read last week:
  • I finished Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver and loved it even more than the first novel, The Bean Trees. I never wanted it to end, and days later, I am still thinking about Taylor and Turtle. Two of the best books I have ever read!
  • I am now reading I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg, this month's selection for one of my book groups. It's well-written and I am enjoying it, but Pigs in Heaven kind of ruined me for any other novel right now! I did get a lot of reading time in this weekend while the kids were snowboarding, though.
  • I also slipped in a quick little book, Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan. I don't quite know how to describe it because it is so unique and quirky. I see that it is officially categorized as a children's/teen book (one review says grade 4 and up; another says grades 7-12), but some of the wit and irony is clearly aimed at adults. I will try to review it this week, so I can describe it more fully. Anyway, I liked it!
  • My husband, Ken, is reading The Likeness by Tana French. He still thinks the plot of this one is a bit far-fetched, but he's enjoying the excellent writing and sometimes even laughs out loud!
  • Jamie, 18, had a busy week with school and snowboarding, but he continued to read Shaman's Crossing, Book 1 of the Soldier's Son trilogy by Robin Hobb. He says it's OK, but the fantasy world in this novel has guns and he prefers fantasy worlds that are pre-gun.
  • Craig, 15, is still reading The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros for his freshman lit class.
We were so busy last week that I didn't have time to write any reviews, but I did FINALLY sign up for some 2013 reading challenges - check out my choices and let me know what you have signed up for.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.)

Craig and his two friends enjoying the slopes!

5 comments:

  1. I am not sure if I have ever read Barbara Kingsolver... now that is going to bug me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila -

    Have you read The Poisonwood Bible? That is Kingsolver's best-known novel....and one of her best!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Pigs in Heaven better than The Poisonwood Bible? Actually it doesn't matter, I'm going to read it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan -

    Well, Poisonwood Bible is still my favorite Kingsolver (and one of my favorite novels of all time!), but these two are a close second.

    Start with The Bean Trees - Pigs in Heaven is the sequel.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you say what your whole family is reading. I might have to borrow that idea for my next What Are You Reading post.

    ReplyDelete