Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2013 Reading Challenges

Well, here it is, January 23, and I still have not signed up for any 2013 Reading Challenges. I only began doing reading challenges a couple of years ago, and I like to stick to those that will help me read the things I want to read, without adding any pressure or extra obligations. It's about time I made some decisions and got off my butt. huh?  So, OK, here we go...(drum roll)...

My Reading Challenges for 2013:


2013 Where Are You Reading Challenge, hosted by Sheila at Book Journey -
This was my very first challenge (in 2011), though I took the no-stress approach and just tracked the locations where my books took place, rather than making any attempt to hit a certain target.  My final tally for 2011 included 20 different states and 11 different countries, and in 2012, I visited 27 states and 6 countries through my books.  We'll see if I can beat that in 2013!



2013 TBR Pile Reading Challenge, hosted by Evie at Bookish -
Like I said, I like to take on challenges that help me meet my goals, and one of my biggest on-going goals is to whittle down the ever-growing TBR pile! Last year, for another challenge, I had a goal of reading 12 books from my TBR shelf, and I managed to read (almost) 11 (that last one was finished in early 2013). Pretty pathetic to have only read 11 books off my own shelves last year, right? So, I am signing up at the A Friendly Hug level, to read 11-20 books from my TBR piles. I have already read two, so I am off to a good start.



2013 Audio Book Challenge, hosted by Theresa's Reading Corner -
I always have an audio book going on and enjoy them very much, though I am pretty slow with them. My old '92 VW doesn't have a CD player or iPod dock, so since I can't listen in the car, it takes me a while to get through an audio book!  Last year I listened to 10 audio books, so I guess I will shoot for....oh, what the heck, I will go for Going Steady, 12 audio books. I better get listening!




Those Books I Should Have Read 2013 Reading Challenge, hosted by Reading with Martinis -
For years, I have been wanting to read some of the classics my kids are reading for school. At the same time, there are a few really major authors I have never read but really want to (and never seem to get to). So, I went in search of challenges that might help in these goals, and found this one that brings both together! It's perfect for what I want - to read some of those books I have always been meaning to read but never get to, both classics and more modern books. I think I will just start at Level 1 - 6 books.

Some of the books I hope to finally read as a part of this challenge:
  • A Margaret Atwood novel
  • A Jane Austen novel
  • An Ian McEwan novel
  • The House on Mango Street (my son is reading it for freshman lit now)

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing the middle 2 as well. The other 2 look really interesting, and I'm sort of informally doing the first, as I want to be better about tracking the locations of the books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Glad to have you back Sue ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. dog eared copy/Tanya11:45 AM

    Ooh! I participated in the Where Are You Reading Challenge in 2011 and it was a lot of fun! I didn't make all 50 states, but the challenge led me to some great books that I wouldn't have considered otherwise. I didn't do it last year or this on, but I thinkI'll sign up next year!

    I'm doing the audiobook challenge this year. I just finished "flirting" and am now moving on to "going steady."

    I've actually been trying to trim down the number of challenges I commit to. There was so much stress every year, right around October when I realized that I hadn't or wouldn't be able to complete them! NOw that I've realized that the Gutenberg Gods won't revoke my library card if I don't complete a challenge, it's all good :-)

    [dog eared copy/Tanya]

    ReplyDelete