Monday, November 02, 2009

It's Monday 11/2! What Are You Reading?


I had a few more sick days last week, so I had lots of reading time. Thankfully, I recovered in time to enjoy Halloween with my family. My son, Jamie, chose a quasi-literary theme for our costumes this year, and we dressed up as the Where's Waldo? characters (I was Wenda), with my younger son dressed up as an old man (who many people thought closely resembled Benjamin Button!). I also managed to go to NYC on Sunday with my Mom and loved seeing Mamma Mia! on Broadway - what a fantastic show! Hope you all enjoyed your weekends, too!

Lots of good books read last week:
  • I finished The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent and made it to my book group discussion. It was a haunting book about the Salem witch trials based on a true story that will stay with me for a long time. Review to come later this week.
  • I finished Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick on audio, a teen/YA supernatural thriller/romance - not my normal genre, but it was very good and the audio was well-done. Review to come on Great Books for Kids and Teens.
  • My illness flared up severely again mid-week, so my next book pick was the equivalent of literary comfort food - Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich, read for pure fluffy fun! No thought required and lots of laughs - just what the doctor ordered. I love the Stephanie Plum series.
  • After that big dose of fun, I was ready for some inspiration and started The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby, a memoir written by a man suffering from locked-in syndrome after a massive stroke. He wrote the book by blinking his left eye. His intelligence, grace, and sense of humor are amazing and moving.
Last week, I posted a review of After You by Julie Buxbaum and hope to catch up on more backlogged reviews this week (after I recover from my trip to NYC!) Check out Great Books for Kids and Teens to see what kids' and teens' books our family is reading this week.

So, what are YOU reading this week?

(What are you reading Mondays was started by J. Kaye's Book Blog)

10 comments:

  1. Cute photo! I did enjoy the Heretic's Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did have excellent reads last week. Happy reading this week. Mine is here: http://www.rundpinne.com/2009/11/what-are-you-reading-mondays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, sorry you aren't feeling well. I agree that S. Plum can be a great "feel good" series. You're ahead of me, though. I think I'm on #9.
    I've only seen the film version of Mamma Mia! Glad you enjoyed the Broadway production (lucky you!).
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Heretic's Daughter I just won a copy from another blog. Can't wait to receive it!

    Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is written in my notebook of one I want to read. It sounds like something I'd like. I've also heard good things about Hush Hush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:47 PM

    Love the photo! SO glad you all recovered for Halloween. Looks like you all had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Diving Bell Book was very good I thought -- I read it a while back with some friends and we spent a lot of time talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the costumes!! You've been doing some fun reading ... the upside to having to be sick, I guess. :-) Hope you're well now. By the way, I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Happy reading!maree_jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you were able to enjoy Halloween :-)
    I can't wait to read your review of Heretic's Daughter- it was one of my favorite reads last year! :-)

    ReplyDelete