Saturday, March 25, 2017

Saturday Snapshot 3/25: National Parks of Colorado


Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Melinda at West Metro Mommy Reads.

Continuing my tribute to National Parks and other federally managed lands, inspired by Melinda of West Metro Mommy Reads, this week we travel to Colorado. Back in 2009, after our annual summer visit to see my husband's parents, we traveled further west to Colorado. The highlight of the trip (and most of these photos) was Rocky Mountain National Park, but we also visited Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado.

My son at Great Sand Dunes NP

See the sled tracks on the dunes? My boys took a sled up there & slid down!

These huge sand dunes just rise out of the surrounding countryside.
Rocky Mtn NP - reflections in the lake

Sunset in Rocky Mtn NP from our campsite

My fave pic! My sons with a mountain lake at Rocky Mtn NP

South end of a northbound elk - Rocky Mtn NP

Hiking above treeline in the tundra at Rocky Mtn NP

These photos make me want to go back!!! I am really itching to travel, but medical problems, family stuff, and bad weather keep getting in my way....soon!

Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend - it is WARM here finally, so I am going out on the deck to enjoy it before the temperature plunges again tonight.

In case you missed any, my other National Park tributes:

National Parks of New England

National Parks of the Southeast

National Parks of the Central U.S.

National Parks of South Dakota

11 comments:

  1. I've been loving your national park photos! Colorado is one of my favorite places to visit, and I had a great time at the sand dunes many years ago. It's such an amazing (and unexpected) phenomenon. I hope you'll continue sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! So glad you're enjoying it. I'm enjoying going through the old photos & remembering all these amazing trips!

      Delete
  2. I love the picture of the lake and reflections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was hard to choose just a few from the Rockies because EVERYTHING is so beautiful there!

      Delete
  3. I loved Colorado in my childhood when we took road trips. Now I want to go back, too, although I'm not much a traveler these days, either. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are hoping to get traveling more in the next few years, as our sons leave home (they are in college now so life is very busy!) - I am looking forward to getting back to CO!

      Delete
  4. It looks like a fantastic place! We had sand dunes in northern Indiana, where I grew up, but I don't remember them being this big!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been to Indiana Dunes National Seashore in southern IN, but you are right - Great Sand Dunes was on a much bigger scale!

      Delete
  5. Colorado is blessed with many wonderful NPs and RMNP is a favorite because it's only 45 min from my house. I love it so much and am glad you got to enjoy it as well. The Sand Dunes NP is also wonderful--unique and spectacular and so different from RMNP. I'm a big NP fan so I'll have to check out your links to the other areas. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Lucky you, Jane! I didn't realize you lived in CO. I love that whole area - we have family in Boulder.

      Delete
    2. We're about 10 min outside of Boulder!

      Delete