Friday, January 29, 2016

Summary of 2015 Reading Challenges

How can it possibly be January 29 already?? I looked back to last year and saw that I didn't post my 2014 summaries until the end of January and thought I'd definitely do better this year...maybe next year?

Anyway, 2015 was a great reading year for me (I WILL be posting my full year-end summary soon!), and I thoroughly enjoyed the Reading Challenges that I participated in.

I joined 6 Reading Challenges at the beginning of 2015 and added in 2 seasonal ones during the year:

The Where Are You Reading Challenge 2015 hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.
I participate in this one every year, just for the fun of tracking where my books are set. I read books set in 23 different states in 2015. That's a bit lower than previous years, but I made up for it globally, with books set in 17 different countries last year! And many of those were countries I'd never read about before. You can read my full list of books and locations on my 2015 Reading Challenges page.


2015 Mount TBR Challenge hosted by My Reader's Block.

I signed up for the Mount Blanc level - aiming for at least 24 TBR books this year, and (drumroll....) I read exactly 24 books from my own shelves! Woohoo! Still, I'd like to do even better at the TBR challenges because I have an entire bookcase of TBR books, and the pile never seems to get any smaller! But every year, there are lots of book group books, library books, new audiobooks, etc. I will definitely sign up for another TBR challenge for 2016. You can read my full list of TBR books read on my 2015 Reading Challenges page.


 
I signed up for Binge Listener level, 20-30 audiobooks, and listened to...25 audiobooks! Just right. I love listening to audiobooks - it doubles my reading time -  so this one works well for me. You can read my full list of audiobooks completed on my 2015 Reading Challenges page.
 
 
2015 Nonfiction Reading Challenge hosted by The Introverted Reader.
 
I signed up for the Explorer level, aiming for 6 - 10 nonfiction books. I read these 8:
  1. Smile by Raina Telgemeier 
  2. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
  3. Personal History by Katharine Graham 
  4. Relish by Lucy Knisely 
  5. French Milk by Lucy Knisley 
  6. How To Wake Up by Toni Bernhard
  7. If the Oceans Were Ink by Carla Power
  8. Persepolis by Marji Satrapi 
All but one was a memoir! That's the kind of nonfiction I like best. I tend to read mostly fiction, so I like signing up for a nonfiction challenge to give me some extra motivation to read a broader range of books.



Back to the Classics Challenge 2015 hosted by Books and Chocolate.
 
My goal was 6 classics last year. This challenge had 12 categories to aim to read from, and I only read 4:
1.  A 19th Century Classic Dracula by Bram Stoker
2.  A 20th Century Classic
3.  A Classic by a Woman AuthorRebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
4.  A Classic in Translation.
5.  A Very Long Classic Novel
6.  A Classic Novella - The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
7.  A Classic with a Person's Name in the Title
8.  A Humorous or Satirical Classic.  
9.  A Forgotten Classic
10.  A Nonfiction Classic. 
11.  A Classic Children's BookAnne of Green Gables by H.M. Montgomery
12.  A Classic Play.  
 
I knew this challenge was a bit too restrictive for me when I signed up, but I do enjoy reading classics, so this year I hope to find one that defines classic more loosely and allows for re-reads.
 
Back in September 2014, I added this new challenge which ran through December 2015. My goal was to read 10 books set in other places/cultures. I read 21 all together! So, that was a big success, and I enjoyed reading globally. You can read my full list of books read for this challenge on my 2015 Reading Challenges page.
 


Big Book Summer Challenge, hosted by Book By Book (me!)

I planned to read 6 Big Books (400 pages or more) this summer and met my goals:
  1. A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
  2. Revolution by Deborah Wiles
  3. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus
  4. UnDivided by Neal Schusterman
  5. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
  6. Anne of Green Gables by H.M. Montgomery
Hope you will join me for the fun next summer!



R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril X, hosted by The Estella Society
 
This one caught my eye in the fall, when I normally like to read spooky, creepy books anyway! I joined at Peril the First level - to read 4 books in September & October 2015 with dark or suspenseful themes. I read 8:
  1. All Fall Down by Ally Carter
  2. Doll Bones by Holly Black
  3. Ghost Hawk by Susan Cooper
  4. The Martian by Andy Weir 
  5. Dracula by Bram Stoker  
  6. The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
  7. The Cemetery Boys by Heather (Zac) Brewer  
  8. The Three by Sarah Lotz
So, all in all, a very successful year for Reading Challenges! Now, I need to (late, as usual!) sign up for my 2016 Reading Challenges.

Which Reading Challenges are you hosting or signing up for in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment