So, here are My Top Ten Books with Travel Themes:
- Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo, one of my all-time favorite road trip novels.
- Gumbo Tales: Finding My Place at the New Orleans Table by Sara Roahen - we used to live in NOLA, and it's one of my favorite places...and the food is amazing!
- Roastbeef's Promise by David Jerome - a light and humorous novel about a man who travels to all 48 contiguous states to scatter his father's ashes.
- Blood, Bones, and Butter: the Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton, a memoir that includes some incredible scenes set in the countryside of Italy.
- Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love and the Search for Home by Kim Sunée, another food memoir that takes place mainly in New Orleans (see above!) and France.
- 12,000 Miles in the Nick of Time: A Semi-Dysfunctional Family Circumnavigates the Globe by Mark Jacobson, a memoir about traveling around the world with two teens and one pre-teen - makes me want to pack my bags!
- All the Fishes Come Home to Roost: An American Misfit in India by Rachel Manija Brown, about a girl who grows up on an Indian ashram with her hippie parents - doesn't really make you want to visit India but still fascinating!
- Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy by Carlos Eire, a memoir that won the National Book Award and has a magnificent sense of place.
- Leap of Faith: Memoirs of an Unexpected Life by Queen Noor, a memoir which made me want to visit Jordan.
- The House at Sugar Beach: In Search of a Lost African Childhood by Helene Cooper, a memoir about growing up in Liberia - not really someplace I want to visit after reading this book, but the book made me feel as if I had been there myself and witnessed its transformation.
You can see that many of these are memoirs and some are not necessarily about traveling per se but have the ability to transport the reader to a different place as an armchair traveler.
I would love to hear about your favorite books with a travel theme - anyone know of other great roadtrip novels for me??
(I listed favorite kids/teen/YA travel-themed books over at Great Books for Kids and Teens.)