Monday, April 01, 2024

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

Life

Happy Easter! I hope everyone who celebrates it had a wonderful holiday. We drove to Rochester, NY, (my hometown) to stay with my step-mom and celebrate Easter (a day early on Saturday) with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. Both of our sons were there, so we enjoyed spending time with them as well. My family celebrates Easter with a traditional Ukrainian feast. My contributions were holubtsi (cabbage rolls) and hren (beet and horseradish relish).


We enjoyed the time with my step-mom, as always, and had a wonderful early Easter at my aunt and uncle's. We ate all our favorite foods, watched old home movies (including some old 8 mm movies from the 60's and 70's just recently digitized), caught up, and shared lots of memories and laughs!

The "kids" table - all adults now!

Ukrainian Easter feast

Easter baskets (even though they're 26 an 29!)

Easter with our family

Oh, and last week, the painters finished the work in our entryway/stairway/hall! We chose the color Gratifying Green (don't you love paint color names?) and love the way it turned out! We just have to put everything back now.


__________

On the Blog

Movie Monday: American Fiction - my husband and I both enjoyed this warm, thoughtful, entertaining (and hilarious!) movie about books, the publishing industry, and family. Highly recommended! My review and a trailer at the link.

Middle-Grade Review: Parachute Kids by Betty C. Tang - I enjoyed this excellent graphic novel based on the author's real-life experiences as a ten-year-old, living in the U.S. with her teen siblings to attend school, with her parents in Taiwan. Fascinating, informative, and very entertaining.

__________

On Video

The Reader Profile Tag - this fun tag is all about my preferences as a reader, with some thought-provoking questions!

Friday Reads 3-29-24 - my quick weekly update about what I am reading and listening to

__________

 What We're Reading

I finished my second book for Booktopia (tickets available; my recap/vlog from Booktopia 2023), The Audacity by Ryan Chapman. This novel is a satire that loosely mirrors the Elizabeth Holmes/Theranos case but with a focus on the spouse. Guy, a middling piano composer, is married to Victoria, a hard-driving, high-intensity woman who started PrevYou, a medical company whose simple aim was to cure cancer. Guy comes home from yet another charity gala (he runs the company's philanthropic arm) to find out that Victoria is missing. She went kayaking in San Francisco Bay and her kayak came back without her. Guy quickly figures out that this was her way of disappearing since news of her company's failure was about to break (and we hear from Victoria, in a secluded cabin, in chapter 2). Guy decides since his life is about to blow up, he'll go out in style and attends an exclusive retreat on a private island for the world's top 0.01%, where they aim to solve the world's problems. The satire is excellent, and I enjoyed the humor. I'm hearing from some other Booktopia readers that not everyone liked this one, though! Check out my Friday Reads video for a more in-depth description.

 

Now, I am reading a very different novel for Booktopia, Sipsworth by Simon Van Booy, who is the best-selling author of about a dozen books (though he's new to me). Where The Audacity was a very raucous novel, this one is a very quiet, tender story about a woman named Helen. She is 83 and living in a retirement cottage (in the UK) in the small village where she grew up. She's lived all over the world but decided to come home after losing her son and her husband. Helen is very lonely and lives each day in a quiet routine, until she has a surprise encounter with a mouse. It's very good so far.

 

My last audio book for Middle-Grade March and Fierce Women Reads was Home Away from Home by Cynthia Lord. Mia and her mom always visit her grandma in Maine every summer, but this year, Mia's there alone. Her mom and her boyfriend are working to sell their old house and find a new one, for "a fresh start." Mia wishes everything would stay the same, but she loves visiting her grandma in the small, seaside town. Things are different there this year, though, too. Mia meets grandma's neighbor, Cayman, who's her age and seems to have made himself at home at grandma's house! The two kids spot an unusual white bird of prey when they go to check on the baby eaglets the town is known for. I enjoyed this middle-grade novel that deals with lots of typical adolescent issues, with a hefty dose of nature added in (which I loved).

 

My husband, Ken, finished a nonfiction book I loved last November, The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman, about a Polish couple who saved over a hundred Jews in WWII Warsaw (my review at the link). He's certain he read it before, though neither of us can figure out when, since I just brought it into the house a year ago! He still enjoyed it the second time around. Now, he's reading Red Knife by William Kent Krueger (a favorite author for both of us), book 8 in his Cork O'Connor series. My husband finally activated his library card and got this one from the library - clearly, he's enjoying retirement!

 

Our son, 29, is still very busy with job interviews (trying to decide between two offers this week!), but he's enjoying a book I gave him for his birthday last year, Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie, one of his all-time favorite fantasy authors (and he has many favorites). This is book 1 in World of the First Law, a spin-off of his hugely popular First Law trilogy.

 __________

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.
 
 
 What are you and your family reading this week?

 

10 comments:

  1. I've not heard of any of those books - I love that cover of Sipworth....very appealing! Will check out. #Bookdate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful novel - with some unexpected surprises in store!

      Delete
  2. Your Easter sounds wonderful; how fun to be with family and watch old films of yourselves.

    The hallway/entry also looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like old home movies to bring back happy memories!

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter! Love the green color too. I haven't read any books by the authors you're all reading. I'm trying to finish a book of short stories I started last week - The Beast You Are, Paul Tremblay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya! We're enjoying the new color in the house :) I have read any short stories in ages - hope you're enjoying them.

      Delete
  4. It looks like you had such a wonderful Easter celebration, Sue—I love that you all have a traditional Ukrainian set of dishes you make! And the paint in your house looks beautiful too—that's a great color choice.

    It sounds like you've read such a diverse set of books this week, with The Audacity sounding, well, audacious, and Sipsworth and maybe also Home Away from Home having a calmer feel. All of them sound great! Thanks so much for the thoughtful reviews, as always, and take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Max! We look forward to our Ukrainian Easter feast all year! I just finished Sipsworth today, and it was wonderful - a warm, gentle story :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a wonderful Easter. I love that you all watched old movies.

    The food looks great too.

    The new paint job looks great too.

    I haven't heard of the books you are reading but they sound really good! Not just saying that. Thank you for sharing about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like old home movies to bring back memories!

      Delete