Monday, March 20, 2023

It's Monday 3/20! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

Life

Happy First Day of Spring! Here in the northern hemisphere, spring officially begins at 5:24 pm eastern time today. Yay! Even though we had a relatively mild winter, with no snow and only a few brief cold snaps, I am ready for the vibrant colors and warmer temperatures in spring. I managed some short walks last week and enjoyed some early signs of spring, as well as the natural beauty of our area:



 

I was missing our sons for St. Patrick's Day on Friday, so we invited our closest friends over for our usual feast: corned beef with cabbage and vegetables, Irish soda bread, and Irish beer (and they brought dessert!). My apologies for the half-eaten food photos - I really need to become more patient when I have a lovely plate of food in front of me! lol

 


__________

On the Blog

TV Tuesday: Will Trent - a unique crime show with a sense of humor - we're loving it!

Fiction Review: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston - outstanding classic novel about the life of a Black woman in 1930's Florida

__________

On Video

 The Song Tag - something different, all about what kinds of music I enjoy!

Friday Reads 3-17-23 and Weekend Getaway Vlog - my weekly update of what I'm reading, plus photos and videos of our weekend away

__________

What We're Reading

I am currently reading We Love to Entertain by Sarah Strohmeyer, my first book for Booktopia 2023! That's a fabulous annual book event held in Vermont the first weekend in May, where readers and authors hang out together--tickets are still available! (Click Events and scroll down to the bottom.) Here's my summary from Booktopia 2022. The booksellers choose about 8 authors with new books coming out each year. This one is a thriller that will be released on April 25. It's about a home renovation reality show featuring Robert and Holly, who purchased property in Vermont super-cheap, and are creating an expensive, eco-friendly mansion there. Unfortunately, the previous owner who was evicted isn't too happy about that. And now the two TV/social media stars are missing ... or are they? Good so far, and the suspense keeps ramping up!

 

I finished listening to the middle-grade audio book, Can You See Me? by Libby Scott and Rebecca Westcott. It's about an autistic eleven-year-old girl named Tally who is experiencing the challenges of starting middle-school. Tally has supportive parents and an older sister, plus a best friend who knows about her diagnosis, but no one else at school knows. The story is told from Tally's perspective and is interesting and engaging and provides a great inside look at what it's like to live with autism. It was excellent. Listen to more details in my Friday Reads video, including how a nine-year-old girl came to co-author it!

 

I am continuing to enjoy Middle-Grade March with another middle-grade audio, It's the End of the World and I'm in My Bathing Suit by  Justin A. Reynolds. So far, it's a story about a pretty typical twelve-year-old boy named Eddie, who is grounded and can't go to the beach with his family because he hasn't done his laundry in 40 days, since school ended! But I know there is something creepy and weird coming up ...

 

My husband, Ken, finished reading Upgrade by Blake Crouch (which I want to read, too) and has moved onto another Christmas gift book, Across the Sand, book two in a post-apocalyptic series by Hugh Howey. We both absolutely loved Howey's Silo trilogy: Wool, Shift, and Dust. If you haven't read it yet, you should! He says this newer series is just as good.

 

So, last week, I reported that our son, 28, was reading Hurricane, book two in the Street Rats of Aramoor series by Michael Wiseheart. When I checked in today, he said he has now finished books 3 and 4, Rockslide and Sandstorm, and is in the middle of book 5, Wildfire. And he was busy all weekend visiting an old friend! When I laughed about how much he read, he said, "These weren't really big books, Mom, like I usually read. Each one was only about 530 pages"!! He's getting all his reading in before he starts his new job next week :)

 __________

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.  

What are you and your family reading this week

4 comments:

  1. Great way to celebrate St Pats Day. I never warmed to cabbage and corned beef, or sometimes cabbage and a bacon hock they like. I like brown Irish soda bread though, quite yummy with marmalade. Enjoy your Spring and reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We make ours with lots of veggies and then finish the corned beef with a maple syrup glaze, so it's extra delicious! Soda bread is yummy :)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of that Justin Reynolds book so look forward to hearing what you think of it (he's just so good).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it so far - just got to the mysterious part!

      Delete