Monday, January 09, 2023

It's Monday 1/9! What Are You Reading?

 

Life

Shortly after I posted last week's Monday reading post, we got the news that our brother-in-law had died the night of January 1. We were heartbroken. Tim was the kindest person I've ever met--compassionate, generous, and a friend to all. This week, we'll be traveling to Texas for the memorial service and to be with our three nephews (Tim's sons) and their families.

So, it's been another rough start to the new year here! Last year, it was my father-in-law, the nursing home, and multiple cases of COVID. My own health is still quite poor, so I am worried about managing this big trip. I'm working with my doctor to adjust my thyroid meds, with the hope that will give me more energy and stamina for this week. With my immune disorder, I also had no plans to fly anytime soon, but it will take two flights each way to get us there and back. So, I'm feeling pretty anxious at the moment.

On a more positive note, I enjoy listening to the Happier podcast with Gretchen Rubin, and their annual challenge for this year is #Outside23in23, to spend 23 minutes a day outdoors. I already have a long-standing personal goal of getting outside for at least 10 minutes a day (tough for me, given the ups and downs of my illness, but so rewarding!). I'm using their challenge for extra motivation. Last week, I started #sky365 - posting a photo of the sky each day! I'm really enjoying this so far. So, if you're on social media, join the fun and use #sky365 to share the view of the sky where you live.


#sky365 Day 5

Day 7

Lots of clouds this week, but the sky is still beautiful!
__________

On the Blog

 Lots of catching up last week! I finished my last 2022 reviews and starting my wrap-up posts:

Movie Monday: The Glass Onion - super-fun, twisty mystery in this bright, suspenseful sequel to Knives Out (though you don't need to have seen that to enjoy this one).

Favorite TV Shows Watched in 2022 - If you're looking for something to watch, I reviewed some outstanding TV shows last year!

Fiction Reviews: Two Novels on Audio - reviews of Hidden Pictures, a supernatural thriller, and Now Is Not the Time to Panic, a coming-of-age novel about art - both great!

Fiction Review: The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer - a fun romcom with a twist

__________

On Video

Friday Reads 1-6-22 - quick update on my two first reads of the new year - both excellent so far!

__________

What We're Reading

 My first book of the year is a Christmas gift from my husband, Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus, and it is just as wonderful as everyone said! This story of a rebel female chemist in the '50's and '60's is moving, thoughtful, and hilarious. I'm almost finished with it but don't want it to end.

 

And my first book on audio is equally outstanding: Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver. She's one of my favorite authors, and this is definitely one of her best novels ever! It's based loosely on David Copperfield by Charles Dickens ... only set in modern-day Appalachia in Kentucky. It's immersive and captivating and addresses the realities of the lives of some of the poorest Americans, while also being very entertaining. Very Dickens-like!

 

My husband, Ken, just started one of my Christmas gifts to him, Sand by Hugh Howey. We are both huge fans of his Silo trilogy (Wool, Shift, Dust), which was excellent. Here' he explores a different post-apocalyptic world, one buried in sand, with four siblings who get lost after their father dies. Howey is such an incredible writer--I can't wait to read this one, too!

 

Our son, 28, finished both Shadowcaster and Stormcaster (a Christmas gift) by Cinda Williams Chima. He's now started on The Age of War by Michael J. Sullivan, book 3 in the Legends of the First Empire series. But he has a busy week at work starting now, so that means less reading time.

 __________

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.  

What are you and your family reading this week?

 

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your family's loss and that your health hasn't been good. Praying that things turn around for you! I like the idea of taking a daily photo of the sky - I'm a cloud-watcher and star-gazer so that appeals to me. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:11 PM

      Thanks, Kym - 2022 was a rough one! We are hoping for better days in the new year! The daily sky pictures are brightening my days so far :) Join in if you like with #sky365

      Delete
  2. Demon Copperhead looks interesting. I hope you enjoy your books!

    Majanka @ I Heart Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:12 PM

      It's SO good so far!! She's just such an amazing storyteller.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope that the travel to and from the memorial service is as smooth and stress-free as possible.
    I'm not an outdoorsy person, but I do go out on my lunch hour every day and take at least a short walk as long as it's not pouring rain or under 20 degrees.
    I listened to Lessons in Chemistry on audio and liked it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:13 PM

      Thanks, Laurie. It's great that you have a daily habit to get outside for a bit - you don't need to be outdoorsy for the sunshine and fresh air to lift your spirits! I'm missing Elizabeth, Mad & Six-Thirty!

      Delete
  4. So sorry you lost your BIL. For sure some big trips ahead, hope you are able to manage them and stay sane and well. So happy that you love Lessons in Chemistry and so good on audio. I love the Happier podcast and (Happier in Hollywood) too, i like the idea of outside for 23 minutes in '23. Not sure I'll do it every day but most days. Yesterday I had that time at the beach and had a swim, I feel so good today after it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:14 PM

      Thank you, Kathryn! I absolutely loved Lessons in Chemistry - found myself reading for shorter and shorter periods to postpone finishing it! I also listen to Happier in Hollywood - they are both great. Ahhh ... outdoor time at the beach sounds wonderful!

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your brother in law, what an awful thing. I hope the trip to Texas goes smoothly and you don't get too tired.

    I am glad you're enjoying Lessons in Chemistry; I figured you'd enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:15 PM

      Thanks, Helen. LOVED Lessons in Chemistry - missing it now!

      Delete
  6. I still need to read Sand. I enjoyed the Wool series (even wrote a fan fiction that's still on Amazon!). Here's my first review of the year.
    http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2023/01/first-review-of-year-mystery.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:16 PM

      Oh, how fun! My husband's enjoying Sand so far - Howey is just such a great storyteller and so good at creating other worlds!

      Delete