Sunday, July 03, 2022

It's Monday 7/4! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

Just a SUPER quick update today because we are rushing to get packed for a very long road trip out to Oklahoma. 

My father-in-law passed away last week, at the age of 97. If you're a regular reader here, you know it's been a very challenging six months (several years, really) for us, as he broke his hip in December, went to a nursing home, got COVID in January, and his dementia quickly progressed. Although the kind, compassionate staff there took excellent care of him and we visited every day, he was always confused, unable to walk, and really didn't have much quality of life left. So, we are grateful that he is at peace now, and we are following his wishes to bury him in Oklahoma, where he spent all of his adult life (and where my husband grew up). 

Here's a picture of him on his last day - I had a great visit with him and brought him a milkshake, which he loved!


And a photo of him on his 95th birthday, in his better days.


Because we are bringing some things with us--and because flying right now with no one wearing masks is dangerous with my immune disorder--we are driving. It's about a 1500-mile drive, and we'll do it in about four days (again, I am somewhat limited). Honestly, I am looking forward to all that down time! This past week has been very hectic and exhausting. I will relax while my husband drives, and we will listen to music, podcasts, and audio books! I've downloaded five different thrillers (all Big Books, of course!) for him to choose from, so I'm looking forward to that.

As for a book summary this week, I'm going to refer you to my Friday Reads video, where I briefly talked about: 

  • Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, which I am still reading and is absolutely AMAZING!!!
  • Gone by Michael Grant, YA science fiction on audio, which I just finished.


I did somehow manage to post two new reviews last week:

TV Tuesday: The Old Man - outstanding new series starring Jeff Bridges as retired CIA on the run

Fiction Review: Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly - excellent thriller and my first Big Book Summer book!

It is much too hot to bring our camper (high 90's and 100's all the way out this week!), so I will have WiFi in the evenings in hotels, but my time online will be very limited - I look forward to catching up on your blogs when I return.

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.  

What are you and your family reading this week?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a long 1,500 mile drive and you have some good in car entertainment lined up. Your FIL lived to be 97, that is a long life. I want to watch The Old Man, and love Michael Connelly's books. I completed Paper Bark Tree Murder by Ovidia Yu, set in Singapore, this is the 3rd in the series I have read and now I am reading The Case of the Canterfell Codicil, a mystery with humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I am so sorry to hear about your FIL. 97 is impressive and I know the last few months of his life were difficult for him, you and your husband. It helps to know he is no longer confused or in pain. I hope the drive to Oklahoma goes well. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue so sad to hear of your FIL passing although I do understand how his quality of life deteriorated. You both took great care of him and I love that he enjoyed that last milkshake. You take care and keep yourself as well as possible. Hope those audios will be great. We'll check in with you when you are back. Sending a virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy your road trip despite the sad reason for it. It makes me want to drive and listen to audiobooks too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, I am so sorry to hear about your father-in-law's passing, but I am very glad to hear that you all had a nice last visit with him. It sounds like you all have a long drive ahead of you, so I hope everything goes well and you all hold up OK during all this—and I hope you enjoy all of your reading over the next few days! I am glad your father-in-law is at peace now, and good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you a safe and peaceful drive. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to read about your FIL. I have read this blog enough to know that you and your family took such excellent care of him. Now it is time to take care of yourselves. Safe travels, and enjoy your audiobooks. I have been meaning to read Gone and Project Hail Mary for a while. Like most people here, I never come close to catching up on TBR lists. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences on the passing of your father in law. It's always hard to say goodbye. Best wishes for some rest and good books as you recoup from the last few months.

    ReplyDelete