Monday, January 31, 2022

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

I continue to improve after my bout with COVID at the start of January. My cough got a lot better last week, and though energy/stamina are not quite back to my normal baseline, I had a good week with no serious "crash" days. I still need more sleep than usual and struggle to get out of bed before 9 am (a battle I lost yesterday!), but I am beginning to get out into the world. I made quick stops at Kohl's and Michael's last week - major outings! I might even attempt the grocery store this week. I did get up on time this morning, so I could get to a doctor's appointment, and now I'm exhausted, so baby steps!

We had a snow day on Saturday! We only got 3-4 inches in northern Delaware, but that's a big deal here. The crazy thing is that the beaches, 2 hours south, and the Jersey Shore got clobbered by this storm--my friends at the beach got 14 inches! 


While my son and husband were shoveling our driveway, I accomplished something truly amazing. I cleared out a cupboard! Our house has gotten horribly cluttered this past year, with my health worse than usual, our son moving back home, and a lot of my father-in-law's stuff stored here, too. This was what we called the "craft cupboard," filled with art supplies, craft kits, and science kits left over from when our sons were young. They're in their mid-20's now, so this was long overdue. It's just the first step in a string of planned decluttering projects this year; I needed the space here so I could clear out other areas. I'm very proud of finally making a little progress, so I will share my Before and After pics!

Before

After
 

I posted my weekly Friday Reads update on my YouTube channel last week (and another video for the chronic illness side of my channel). Check this out if you want to hear more about the books I was reading last week:

Friday Reads 1-28-22


Here's what we've all been reading this past week:

After finishing that terrifying nonfiction book about generic drugs and the pharmaceutical industry (and my husband and I doing online searches to try to find out where our meds are made!), I needed a dose of fun fiction. I also wanted to get a head start on my 2022 Classics Challenge (I didn't hit my goal last year). So, I chose The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. I'm a huge fan of his and read every one of his books in our public library when I was a teen! This is a loosely linked collection of short stories. Each one is a tattoo on the man of the title that comes to life at night and tells a story. As always, his stories are brilliant--so clever and thought-provoking! I've been loving this book and am almost finished now.

 

I also finished listening to Mercy Street by Jennifer Haigh on audio. Haigh is another favorite author, and this novel was excellent. It was about several different people who are each in some way connected to the women's clinic of the title in Boston. The author alternates between characters, whose paths cross in various ways, and you really get to know each of them intimately. If you haven't tried Haigh yet, I recommend this one (out tomorrow) and all of her backlist. To hear more about this novel and the Ray Bradbury book, check out my Friday Reads video.

 

My husband, Ken, is still reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, book one of The Malazan Book of the Fallen series, a fantasy novel recommended by our son. This is a long, dense book, but he's been enjoying it and is near the end! (When I said last week that he only had 60 pages left, I misheard--it was 160 pages!)

 

Our son, 27, finished reading a gift from his girlfriend, The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter, book one of The Burning series. He says it was great, and he will definitely read more of the series. Next, he read Realm Breaker by Victoria Aveyard, the start of a new series, and enjoyed that, too. 



Next, our son read a book I got him for his birthday last year, Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames. I heard about this one on Daniel Green's Top 10 Fantasy Series video - many of his top 10 are also my son's, so I knew he'd enjoy this one, which incorporates humor into sword-wielding fantasy. And now (he's had a lot of reading time lately), he's reading Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook, book one in the series of the same name. He says it's a series he's been wanting to read for years, and he spotted it in our local second-hand bookstore last year!

Blog posts from last week - catching up!

Movie Monday: Parasite - this Oscar-winner was full of surprises and very entertaining.

2022 Reading Challenges - finally! Now, I'm ready to begin the new year. 

Nonfiction Review: Janesville by Amy Goldstein - an immersive, fascinating look at what happened to a town and its citizens when a huge GM plant closed.

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.  

What are you and your family reading this week?

 

24 comments:

  1. Cleaning out craft cupboards is something to be proud of. I always think there is a reason to keep everything even if it's been in there for over 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 years?? Some of this stuff was more than 20 years old? ha ha Long overdue. We have trouble getting rid of stuff, too :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my, your craft cupboard looks phenomenal!! I still have five kiddos using our craft area and, while we've done some tidying up, I'm sure we could use your help in getting it looking this great! Always a battle... I'm so sorry to hear about your Covid aftermath. I'm having some memory and fatigue issues and that's without a chronic illness. I sure hope you're on the upswing, Sue! Thank you for all these shares and I'm wishing a wonderful, healing week for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was long-overdue, Shaye, since our "kids" are grown now! We did find some gems among the junk - drawings they made, etc.

      So very sorry to hear you are still suffering effects, too.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Sue

      Delete
  3. Good to hear you are making progress and recovering Sue. As you say small steps. I had to go google Delaware to exactly where in the USA. Surprised you don't get snow more often. Very impressive clear up of the craft cupboard! All the best for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathryn! Yes, I grew up further north, in Rochester, NY, where is snows a LOT, and my husband grew up south, in Oklahoma, where it hardly ever snows, so he and I have very different ideas about snow! In fact, I keep reminding him that Delaware is technically a southern state, but he says this is as far north as we are ever going - ha ha

      Delete
  4. It's so satisfying that have a clean and organized -anything-. It always gives me a boost of confidence after I do a good clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Hopefully, this bodes well for the new year :)

      Delete
  5. I purged Homeschooling materials this week, cleaned out quite a bit that I was able to pass on to another family, so I get the sense of accomplishment! Glad you are continuing to improve. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feels good, doesn't it? Good for you!

      Delete
  6. Just put a hold on Mercy Street from the library for downloadable audio and it says it's going to be a wait of several months! Hope more copies will get added so I don't have to wait that long!
    Glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it was just released today, so it must be a popular one already! Maybe I'm not the only Jennifer Haigh fan :) Hope that wait list moves fast!

      Delete
  7. Glad things are looking better for you. We inherited our house (and it's contents) from my mother in law. Mostly everything has been cleaned out except for her crystal and other fancy dishes. Today I washed all the crystal and went through the bottom of the china cabinet to get rid of stuff. (We have to make room for our fancy stuff that is still in storage!) It's satisfying to accomplish anything isn't it?
    Glad to see that it looks like you got your commenting fixed. Happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commenting still messed up - I can only reply if i click on the link in the e-mail notification I get! Crazy Blogger. Sounds like quite a project for you. We moved my FIL from Independent Living to Assisted Living in Sept and had some leftover stuff stored here, but now he's in a nursing home after breaking his hip, so we need to move all his stuff out of Assisted Living - we're running out of space for all this extra furniture! Our son moves out again in March, so that should help, though I suspect there will be remnants left here!

      Delete
  8. Glad you're recovering after a bout with covid! Seems like the fatigue might be the most common symptom, and it does linger. That was our experience as well. I haven't read The Illustrated Man but I like Bradbury so that might be one I should try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try The Illustrated Man - it was excellent!

      Delete
  9. So glad that you are on the road to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you're starting to feel better, Sue! I can imagine it's frustrating that it's going so slowly, but you'll be there soon enough! And your craft cupboard looks so great—there are quite a few places that I could stand to clean up too (I'm looking at my dresser right now, and I literally don't know what's in half the drawers!), so I applaud your progress! And all these books look fantastic—The Illustrated Man has such a neat premise, and being written by Ray Bradbury is obviously a plus. Thanks so much for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Max! I am fine, mentally, now that I can see so much progress the past two weeks. I just got a little freaked out at first because I was SO sick the first 3 weeks and SO many people don't recover, especially with my immune issues. But I am good with slow progress!

      Delete
  11. That Ray Bradbury is about drugs? I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO!! So sorry if I was confusing. The book I read BEFORE that, covered in last week's Monday post, was Bottle of Lies, a nonfiction book about the generic drug industry that was truly terrifying. The Ray Bradbury fiction was my soothing comfort balm after that! Guess I was assuming everyone read my last Monday post ... which, of course, I shouldn't!

      Delete
  12. I'm also making space for a lot of my mom's stuff after we talked her into moving from a house in Texas to an Independent Living apartment near us.

    I tried Gardens of the Moon some months back and just couldn't connect to any of the characters. I do remember liking Black Company though, and I read Illustrated Man back in college and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth - My husband also had a lot of trouble with Gardens of the Moon at first - said it took a long time to get into and was confusing. But since our son lent it to him, he stuck with it :)

      Good luck with your mom's move! We did that with my FIL 7 years ago, moving him from being alone in his house in OK to be close to us in an Independent Living apt here. It's a lot of work but well worth it!

      Delete