Saturday, September 04, 2021

Books Read in August


August for me meant wrapping up (almost) my annual Big Book Summer Challenge, which officially ends on Monday, September 6. And, since I saved my BIGGEST book of the summer (Anna Karenina) for August, that meant I only had time last month for a few other books ... but they were good ones! You can watch my August Reading Wrap-Up video to hear a quick recap of each book and why I enjoyed it.  Here's what I finished reading last month: 

The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin (ME) - adult fiction

After the Flood by Kassandra Montag (Canada, Caribbean, Arctic) - adult fiction on audio 

 

The Accidental Further Adventures of the 100-Year-Old Man by Jonas Jonasson (Indonesia, Sweden, North Korea, Denmark, Kenya, Tanzania, NY) - adult fiction on audio

The Girl from the Sea by Molly Knox Ostertag (Canada) - middle-grade/teen graphic novel


So, yes, that's just four books finished in August because I was buried in Anna Karenina most of the month! It was an all-fiction month for me, with one graphic novel and two listened to on audio. Three of them were adult fiction and the graphic novel was for middle-grade/teens. I enjoyed all of these--it was a nice mix of types and genres--but my favorite was The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin, a beautiful, moving novel set in the North Woods of Maine ... and very different from his famous sci fi/horror/thriller trilogy, The Passage. It also takes the prize for being on my TBR shelves for 7 years!

Progress in 2021 Reading Challenges:
You can see all of the reading challenges I am participating in and full lists of the books read for each at the challenges link above. I have some fun ones going this year!

Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2021 - Two of my books came off my own shelves (and the audios had been in my backlog for a while, too, but I only count the ones that take up physical space!). That's a total of 24 so far ... but my goal for 2021 is 48!
2021 Monthly Motif Reading Challenge - August was Bag of Tricks, featuring magic/powers, so The Girl from the Sea by Molly Knox Ostertag fit well.
Back to the Classics 2021 - No classics finished in August, but there's a whopper coming up next month!

2021 AtoZ Reading Challenge - Most of my spots are already filled (19 of 26), so none of these counted, and I didn't get the mini challenge, either.

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2021 - this is a unique one, with 50 quirky categories. My list is getting pretty full now, but I added another 2 categories to my list this month. That brings me up to 29:
  1. Book by an author who shares your Zodiac sign: The Accidental Further Adventures of the 100-Year-Old Man by Jonas Jonasson
  2. The book on your TBR with the prettiest cover: The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin
2021 Nonfiction Reader Challenge - No nonfiction again in August. Just 5 so far this year, but I'm saving it up for November!
Diversity Reading Challenge 2021 - Only one of my books (The Girl from the Sea by Molly Knox Ostertag) was diverse last month (22 so far this year).
Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge - I traveled all over the world in my books last month! Both of my audio books featured global travels to multiple countries.
2021 Literary Escapes Challenge - I added Maine! I am up to 18 of 50 states, so I'm kind of lagging behind.

2021 Big Book Summer Challenge - I added 2 more Big Books in August, for a total of 9 so far!! I will finish up 3 more (in print and on audio and a graphic novel) this weekend.

And finally, Bookish Bingo hosted by Chapter Break - not really a challenge per se, but a fun game that I play each month! Stop by to print out this month's Bingo card and play along. In August, I filled 18 spaces on my bingo card - not bad for only 4 books!

 


Spaces Filled:

The Summer Guest: favorite author, death/dying, shelf love, book club read, lawyer

The Girl from the Sea: read a physical book, free book, not in a series, diverse characters, insta-love

After the Flood - audio book, ocean, family tragedy, trigger warnings

Accidental Further Adventures of the 100-Year-Old Man: debut novel, over 400 pages, in a series

Free Space

What was YOUR favorite book read in August?

 

4 comments:

  1. What an impressive set of books you've been reading! Anna Karenina is definitely a big read, but you got so much else read too! I really want to read The Girl From the Sea, since I enjoyed Ostertag's The Witch Boy trilogy very much. And I didn't forget about the Big Book Summer Challenge—in the nick of time, I posted another review and met my challenge goal! I really appreciate you hosting—I would not have gotten these books read without a challenge! Thanks so much for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed Big Book Summer!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed seeing all the challenges you've accepted for 2021. The only challenges I do are Goodreads and debut author challenges. I try to read as many debuts as I can, but don't have a set goal as sometimes getting copies of debut books can be more difficult. I hope your September has been going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not necessarily choosing what to read based on my challenges but more using the challenges to keep track of what I read, if that makes sense - no pressure! Ironically, the Goodreads challenge is one of the only ones I DON'T do because I feel like a numerical goal might dissuade me from reading bigger books - I try to focus more on quality than quantity. Reading debut authors sounds like a great one!

      Delete