Sunday, January 19, 2020

Best Books Read in 2019


Finally, here it is--I know you've all been waiting--my wrap-up of my 2019 reading year and picks for my favorite books! I'm a bit late because I read a lot of books in December, so it took me a while to catch up on all the reviews.

First, I'll share some stats and fun facts about my 2019 reading year, then my top picks, and finally, my Top 10 (or whatever) lists in each category. I read some outstanding books last year, so these were tough choices! You can see a complete list, with links to reviews, of all the books I've read in recent years on my Book Reviews page.

Stats and Facts

NOTE: the numbers in ( )  are my 2018 stats, for comparison.
Total Books Read in 2019 = 87 (88)

Adult Fiction = 50 (45)
Nonfiction = 14 (17)
Teen/YA = 12 (15)
Middle-Grade = 12 (10)
Graphic Novel/Memoir = 15 (11)
Audiobooks = 27 (28)
(note that categories overlap)

Women authors = 54 = 62% (43 = 49%)
Diverse books = 37 = 43% (22 = 25%)
From My Own Shelves = 45 = 52% (33 = 38%)

You can also see how I did on my 2019 Reading Challenges.

Top Picks - Best of the Best

Best Adult Novel
(loved it so much in April, I am re-reading it next month!)


Best Nonfiction
The Devil's Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea
(powerful, moving true story, especially on audio)


Best Memoir
Becoming by Michelle Obama
(moving, powerful, warm, and funny & great on audio) 
 
 
Best Teen/YA
Threatened by Eliot Schrefer  
(wonderful novel and inspired me to read Jane Goodall's memoir)


Best Middle-Grade
 Remarkables by Margaret Peterson Haddix
(unique premise & in-depth characters)
 

  Best Graphic Novel
Old Souls by Brian MacDonald and Les McClaine
(compelling, chilling story about reincarnation)


Best Audio Book
Making Toast by Roger Rosenblatt 
(warm, funny memoir about grief, family, and moving forward)
 

Top Ten (or whatever) Lists of 2019
(each list is in no particular order, and some books appear on more than one list)

Top 11 Novels
The Likeness by Tana French
My Dear Hamilton by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie
Pachinko by Min Jin Lee 
The Rent Collector by Camron Wright
True Grit by Charles Portis
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Finding Dorothy by Elizabeth Letts
The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead   
Plus Honorable Mentions to these 3 which were re-reads 2019 and are STILL on my Best Of list!
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Top 8 Nonfiction Books
Becoming by Michelle Obama
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
The Devil's Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea
Making Toast by Roger Rosenblatt
An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography by Paul Rusesabagina, with Tom Zoellner
Vincent and Theo by Deborah Heiligman

Top 5 Teen/YA Books
Grimoire Noir by Vera Greentea and Yana Bogatch  
On the Come Up by Angie Thomas
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
Threatened by Eliot Schrefer
Vincent and Theo by Deborah Heiligman

Top 5 Middle-Grade Books
Guts by Raina Telgemeier
The Parker Inheritance by Varian Johnson
Remarkables by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Stargazing by Jen Wang
Sunny Rolls the Dice by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm   
     

Top 5 Graphic Novels/Memoirs
Grimoire Noir by Vera Greentea and Yana Bogatch
Guts by Raina Telgemeier  
Old Souls by Brian MacDonald and Les McClaine
Stargazing by Jen Wang
 
Top 10 Audio Books
Becoming by Michelle Obama  
The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh
The Devil's Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea
Making Toast by Roger Rosenblatt
Miracle Creek by Angie Kim
On the Come Up by Angie Thomas
Remarkables by Margaret Peterson Haddix
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
Vincent and Theo by Deborah Heiligman
The Widows by Jess Montgomery        

14 comments:

  1. From your list of faves, I've only read/listened to Becoming but, I LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! And amazing on audio :) It was a tough call, though, to pick a favorite since I also read so many other great nonfiction books and audio books!

      Delete
  2. I love lists like this! And, we've got so many favorites in common: Eleanor Oliphant and Being Mortal in particular. I have Pachinko on my TBR shelf so hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do, Helen! I think you'll love Pachinko :)

      Delete
  3. True Grit made my top list, too! I'm currently re-listening to Becoming. Love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I just listened to your Top Books of 2019 episode yesterday and was going to message you :) Becoming is so good - enjoy!

      Delete
  4. I am impressed that you reviewed all the books you listed. As I busy myself creating lists of favorite books of the decade I realize how many books I love but never reviewed. Sigh. I'm adding your favorite of the favorites to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am struggling to fit it all in lately, Anne, so though I try to review everything, I may need to cut back. I did loosen my standards at the end of the year and skip a couple (and did a few mini reviews) - otherwise, my 2019 wrap-up would have still been waiting!

      Delete
  5. I need to read Becoming, I have it in hardback and audio would you believe! But this year for sure. I loved Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and listened on audio which was great. So I didn't peek at the ending... which I sometimes do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having both formats is probably the best way to do it, Kathryn - it's amazing on audio, read by the author, but I think the print book might have photos, which I missed. I loved Eleanor Oliphant, too!

      And I NEVER peek at endings - I get mad at myself if I peek ahead a few paragraphs by mistake and ruin a surprise! ha ha

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your favourites

    ReplyDelete