Sunday, January 05, 2014

Weekend Cooking 1/5

Each weekend, Beth Fish Reads hosts Weekend Cooking.  This is perfect for me since I love food and cooking almost as much as I love books!

Happy New Year!

We spent the first half of the week visiting my father-in-law in Oklahoma, and the last few days happy to finally be home! My cooking this week was all very traditional - almost entirely using my own recipes - because I wanted to make stuff that my FIL and my sons would all enjoy (and I wanted to fill his freezer, too, as he is 88 and can no longer cook for himself). So, we had classic chili, pork roast with mashed potatoes and veggies, and Hoppin' John for New Year's Eve (black-eyed peas for good luck!).

After arriving back home, I stuck with more traditional meals, perfect for the record-setting cold and snow we're experiencing: Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo (see recipe below), my own chicken and bean enchiladas (a family favorite!), and classic chicken stew with dumplings last night. My older son and I have been sick, so I have also been focusing on comfort foods!

Hope you enjoyed a lovely holiday season and are enjoying a great start to the new year!
 
Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 bag (about 8 oz.) frozen cut okra
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons flour
3 cans (14 oz. each) chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) petite diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 package (12 oz.) chicken or turkey Andouille sausage (like Trader Joe’s brand) *
1 pound uncooked, peeled shrimp
4 cups cooked brown or white rice

* You can substitute 1 package (16 oz.) reduced-fat smoked sausage instead of Andouille sausage.
  
1.     Heat oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Sauté onion, celery, bell pepper, okra, and garlic until soft and tender. 
2.     Add flour and stir until heated through (about 1 minute).
3.     Add the rest of the ingredients, except shrimp and rice, and bring to a boil.
4.     Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.  Add shrimp and simmer 5 more minutes or until shrimp is cooked and pink.

Serve in a bowl, with 1/2 cup rice added to each serving.

NOTE:
This gumbo is mildly spicy, but if it’s too much spice for your family, you can substitute reduced-fat smoked sausage for the Andouille sausage.

© 2009 Suzan L. Jackson

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great dinner for this cold snap! And we'd go for the andouille -- we like the spice.

    Hope you're feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete