Monday, May 13, 2013

It's Monday 5/13! What Are You Reading?





Happy Mother's Day! I hope all you moms had a lovely day yesterday with your child(ren). We spent the weekend in Connecticut visiting my mom and her husband (it was also my mom's birthday), along with my sister and her family. It was great to see everyone, and I especially love spending time with my niece and nephew - they are both fabulous! (and I'm not at all biased). Last week was a whirlwind of buying and wrapping gifts, doing laundry, packing for the trip, plus all the usual weekly tasks. I had very little time for blogging, but I always find time for reading:

  • I am still reading The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson, which recently won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. This book is so amazing! It is engrossing and compelling and wholly unique, set in North Korea. I've laughed out loud, cried, and yelled at the book. My only problem is that it is fairly long, and I have another 400-some page book to read by next Wednesday for my book group! I hope to finish by tomorrow.
  • I am also still reading bits and pieces of The Art of Nonconformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World by Chris Guillebeau, which was recommended by a friend of mine. It is interesting so far, and I'm looking forward to the part on how to prioritize your daily work life since that is a big challenge for me.
  • With my son back in school last week, I was able to continue with my audio book, The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate, an award-winning middle-grade book that has really grabbed me.
  • My husband, Ken, is still reading A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin, book 3 in his A Song of Ice and Fire series. This brick of a book is a full-time project!
  • Jamie, 18, took advantage of being away from college for the weekend to read for fun (lucky boy can read on the car without getting sick!). He's reading The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan and says it is wonderful! Now he's back on campus, studying for finals, but this is his last week, so he'll have lots of reading time this summer.
 Like I said, very little writing time last week, but I did squeeze in two posts at Great Books for Kids and Teens:

Ender's Game Movie Trailer

Review of The Game of Sunken Places by M.T. Anderson, a middle-grade fantasy/adventure novel.

What are you and your family reading this week?

(What are you reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Teach Mentor Texts.)    

1 comment:

  1. The Orphan Master's Son is on my reading list, so good to see you're enjoying it. And check out Guillebeau's blog if you haven't already - it's one that I'm subscribed to and enjoy reading his insights.

    ReplyDelete