Thursday, January 13, 2011

Where Am I Reading Challenge 2011

I don't normally sign up for challenges, just because I don't want any restrictions or limitations on what I choose to read (aside from the two book groups I belong to!).  This is one, hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, is different, though, and I haven't actually signed up for it completely...but it just sounds like fun!

The idea is to track the location settings of the books you read this year, marking them on a Google Map.  The actual challenge is to read a book from all 50 states, plus other countries.  I'm not going to choose books based on trying to get all 50 states, but I do plan to track Where I Am Reading this year and keep my Google Map up-to-date, jut for fun.

So, you can see my map at this link.   I'm still trying to finish up some reviews from the end of 2010, so my 2011 map only has two pins in it so far!

For more information on the challenge, take a look at this post from Book Journey.  Where are you reading??

5 comments:

  1. This does sound like fun. I've only read 3 books so far this year, but two of them take place in multiple locations (though some only very briefly). I wouldn't know how to count them. I can see this would stress me out. But I am curious to see where your reading takes you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really tempted to sign up for this one but like you, I didn't want to choose books based on location. I love the idea of tracking the locations anyway. I may do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam -

    That's why I'm not actually doing this challenge...or any other! No stress, no pressure. I just thought it'd be fun to see where my reading takes me this year! It did take me a while to figure out how to set up the Google Map, but now that that's behind me, the rest should be easy!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam and Julie, the beauty of this challenge is that you just read the books wherever they are taking you.

    Pam you would count the book from where it takes place the most - if there is a place or if it is a travel book fit in in where you want. :)

    You don't have to seek out places to fill in unless you want to. I think my reading is going to naturally take me there and maybe by the end of the year I will actively look at participants maps to see what they found to read in certain states and maybe pick up that book too if it sounds interesting.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah! I'm going to keep up with yours. Good luck reading around the world in 2011. :)

    ReplyDelete