Monday, April 06, 2009

It's Monday, 4/6! What Are You Reading?

Not much time to blog today. I realized this morning that I have a book group meeting TOMORROW that I had overlooked on my calendar, so I'm rushing to read the book, which I hadn't even started until today! I have another book group on Wednesday (they don't usually fall on the same week), so I've set that book aside for now. So, here's what I'm reading:
  • I finished The House At Sugar Beach and posted a review - excellent memoir!
  • I started another memoir for my Wednesday book group, The Women Who Raised Me by Victoria Rowell. I'm about a third of the way through it and disappointed so far, maybe because I just finished such a wonderful memoir before it?
  • I set that one aside today and started The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar for my Tuesday book group. I'm loving it so far! It's a well-written novel about two women in India: one who's in the upper class and her servant who's worked for her family for decades. I was hooked right from the first pages.
  • At bedtime, we're listening to the audio version of Scat by Carl Hiaasen with the kids. We're all big fans of Hiaasen's humorous environmental mysteries.
Better get back to my book!

What are YOU reading this week?

1 comment:

  1. I finished Public Enemies! Whew. I'm currently reading Brief Encounters with Che Guevara and really enjoying it. Usually a book of short stories doesn't keep me wanting to read, but this one does. Ben Fountain knows how to write a short story, mmmhmm.

    Yes, I liked Things Not Seen. Since I've been so housebound, the book touched closer to home then I thought it would. I'm not sure I want to read the next one because I enjoyed this one so contentedly. Does that make sense? Please advise.

    Oh, you asked about Rev. Road. I really liked it. Not a fun, happy story, but excellent characterization and writing. I'm going to read more Richard Yates.

    ReplyDelete