Saturday, April 01, 2017

Saturday Snapshot: National Parks of Northern New Mexico


Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Melinda at West Metro Mommy Reads.

Continuing my tribute to National Parks and other federally managed lands, inspired by Melinda of West Metro Mommy Reads, this week we travel to New Mexico! This was an amazing trip (I know I say that about all our trips) where we went to Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, Jemez Falls in the Santa Fe National Forest (north of Albuquerque and Santa Fe), Bandolier National Monument, and the Jemez State Monument and Soda Dam in the Jemez Mountain Trail National Scenic Byway. So many unique sights in this small region! Besides these places within the National park system, we also enjoyed Albuquerque and Santa Fe - I want to go back.

My family and I at Petroglyph National Monument, NM

One of many of the namesake petroglyphs

Our gorgeous campsite in Jemez Falls Campground in Santa Fe National Forest

Jemez Falls, Santa Fe National Forest, NM

Our sons climbing into cliff dwellings at Bandolier National Monument, NM

Looks like a sand castle but these are life-size cliff dwellings!

Jemez State Monument along Jemez Mountain Trail National Scenic Byway

Soda Dam along the Jemez Mountain Trail National Scenic Byway

Amazing views from a hiking trail in Santa Fe National Forest, NM

My husband & sons hiked to a natural hot spring in Santa Fe National Forest!


Hope you are enjoying a lovely weekend.

In case you missed any, my other National Park tributes:

National Parks of New England

National Parks of the Southeast

National Parks of the Central U.S.

National Parks of South Dakota

National Parks of Colorado

12 comments:

  1. What wonderful pictures. I love the campsite, and the cave dwellings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of our best campsites ever! That national forest was just beautiful!

      Delete
  2. I'm thoroughly enjoying your photos of our national parklands. The cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde fascinated me, and I'm sure I'd love exploring the ones at Bandolier, too.
    My Saturday Snapshot post features Alki Beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! Yes, Bandolier was amazing - I would love to see Mesa Verde (my husband has been there).

      Delete
  3. I've never really visited Cliff Dwellings.... thanks for the suggestion Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first time - though there are several different places here (other national parks) where you can see them. Pretty amazing!

      Delete
  4. Such great pictures! New Mexico is a place I've never visited (except one stop at the Albuquerque airport, where we didn't even get off the plane), but I would love to check these parks out someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first visit, Melinda, and it was so amazing! Just beautiful and so diverse...and we only saw the northern part! Besides all the natural wonders, we really enjoyed Santa Fe and Albuquerque, too - definitely add NM to your must-see list!

      Delete
  5. Bandelier is one of my favorite NPs. We went to Santa Fe for our honeymoon in 1984 and went to Bandelier--30 years later we did the same trip and I fell in love with this magical place all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty amazing place, isn't it, Jane? We loved Santa Fe, too - what a wonderful place to honeymoon!

      Delete
  6. Amy Wendt White10:13 AM

    Jemez Mountains -absolutely a favorite. We spent a week camping there in 2009 with our boys. Jemez Falls Campground was so beautiful....and quiet! Soda Dam! Bandelier National Monument! Santa Fe! Such great memories that your photos brought back to me. I've been loving your National Parks series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's right, Amy! You inspired our trip! I loved New Mexico - would love to go back.

      Delete