Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Fiction Review: The Book That Matters Most

Way back in my March Book Summary, I mentioned that I'd read and reviewed The Book That Matters Most by Ann Hood for Publishers Weekly. They just published my review, so I'm sharing the link here. It will be released in August.

This was my first Ann Hood novel (she also wrote The Obituary Writer and The Knitting Circle), though I'd heard good things about her books. I don't know why, but I sort of expected The Book That Matters Most to be light and insubstantial, but I was pleasantly surprised by its complexity and depth. It interweaves a year of book group discussions with a woman's efforts to overcome her recent divorce and also works in side stories about her daughter's mis-adventures in Paris and the deaths of her mother and sister when she was young. I was completely engrossed in the story and enjoyed seeing the emotional growth and healing of the characters develop. There were plenty of surprises in the plot, and I love stories where disparate threads come together in the end.

Have you read any Ann Hood novels? 

No comments:

Post a Comment