Thursday, November 12, 2015

Fiction Review: A Paper Son

I have a new job reviewing books for Publisher's Weekly. PW publishes brief reviews of new books, and many bookstores, libraries, etc. use them to decide which new books to order. Sometimes, Amazon reprints PW's reviews in the Editorial Reviews section on their book listings or publishers choose to excerpt them on their book covers.

I am not able to reprint my PW reviews here on my blog, but I can provide a link to my PW reviews so that I can share with you what books I enjoyed.

I got lucky - my first review book for PW was A Paper Son by Jason Bucholz, a debut novel that I really enjoyed. It's a unique combination of historical fiction, a modern mystery, and magical realism. I'm not always a fan of magical realism, but in this case, I was able to suspend disbelief and just go along for the ride, as the main characters experience unexplainable phenomena and try to solve an almost-century old mystery. I loved this suspenseful, interesting story about family connections and never wanted it to end!

You can read my PW review of A Paper Son here. The novel will be released in January.


No comments:

Post a Comment