Wow, super busy last week. My youngest son finished his sophomore year of high school last week. I spent much of the week driving him to various places (36 more days until he can drive by himself!!), and then he headed off to his grandparents for a long weekend. My oldest son was home from college, went to the beach with friends on the weekend, and is now off to his first day of summer session (not too happy about that!). On the plus side, my husband and I were alone for the weekend, and we thoroughly enjoyed our preview of the empty nest!
Lots of great reading last week for all of us:
- I finished Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt for my neighborhood book group. It's the story of a teen girl in the late 80's who loses her beloved uncle to AIDS. All I can say is Wow. It was an extraordinary book from beginning to end! Can't wait to discuss it.
- I am now reading my first Big Book of the Summer! I started UnSouled by Neal Schusterman this weekend, book 3 of the Unwind Dystology (yes, they created a word for it!). This series is just so amazing...in the acknowledgements, the author says that he's sold the film rights for the entire series - can't wait to see it on the big screen!
- Incredibly, I started and finished an audio book last week (that's record time for me): We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. Another great book! This YA novel tells the story of a teen girl in a wealthy family who spend every summer on their private island. She can't remember the circumstances of a tragic accident two summers ago that took part of her memory and left her with crippling headaches.
- My husband, Ken, is still reading The Expats by Chris Pavone, an e-book I bought on sale for our joint Kindle account. He says it's a bit confusing at times, as it shifts back and forth in time, but he seems to be enjoying it.
- Jamie, 19, finished Rebel Heart, book 2 in Moira Young's YA Dust Lands trilogy. He had planned to read book 3 right away, but he was a bit disappointed in book 2 so decided to take a break from the series.
- Jamie switched back to fantasy (his favorite) and is now reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, the first book in a series. he says it is great so far!
Review of Popular, a teen memoir by Maya Van Wagenen
Review of Wild, a memoir about backpacking and grief by Cheryl Strayed
Review of This One Summer, an outstanding graphic novel for teens by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki
What are you and your family reading this week?
What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Sheila at Book Journey, with a kid/teen version hosted by Unleashing Readers.
Remember, this is the perfect time to sign up for my Big Book Summer Challenge! You only need to read one book, 400 pages or more, this summer to participate, so join the fun!