Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Big Book Summer 2024 Wrap-Up


Well, since the leaves are starting to turn colors here, I guess I better wrap-up the 2024 Big Book Summer Challenge! Apologies for the delay--we just returned from a much-needed vacation. Big Book Summer officially ended on September 2, finishing its 12th year. And this was the biggest year by far. I host this challenge every summer and always enjoy participating in it myself. You can read all the details at the challenge page linked above, but the basic idea is to read books of 400 pages or longer between the end of May and the beginning of September - just one or a few or as many as you want!  First, I'll wrap-up the whole challenge here and then tell you about my Big Book Summer. You can also watch my Big Book Summer Wrap-Up Video.

Participants in the Big Book Summer Challenge:

This year, we blew away all previous records with a total of 174 participants! Of those, 11 people participated through their blogs, 24 participated through their YouTube channels, and 139 (!) readers participated through the Goodreads group, though everyone enjoyed the book discussions on Goodreads all summer long. You can still visit the group to see what everyone else read for their Big Book Summers or to join in the discussion of Lonesome Dove. There's a Wrap-Up thread there, if you want to share what you read this summer. And if you have a blog or YouTube channel, the links list on the challenge page is still open for reviews or wrap-ups. Everyone can check out the Reviews list at the bottom of the Challenge page for some great reviews of Big Books.

The winner of the annual Big Book Summer Giveaway is ...

Tina of Illinois, who participated through the Goodreads group.

She received a gift certificate from Bookshop.org, a great website where you can buy books conveniently online while supporting indie bookstores.

Congratulations, Tina!

And a Big Book Congratulations to everyone who participated in the challenge this year! 

Whether your goal was to read one Big Book or as many as possible, I hope you had fun reading and sharing your reading adventures throughout the challenge. If you missed it this year, you can sign up for Big Book Summer 2025 next May 23 (it always starts the Friday of Memorial Day weekend in the U.S.) and join the fun--that's only 8 months away! 

My Big Book Summer:

I look forward to Big Book Summer all year and devote my entire summer to reading bigger books. This year, I read a total of twelve Big Books, half in print and half on audio, for a total of 6,284 pages. Links go to my reviews, where available, or the video where I talked about the book:


How was YOUR summer of reading?

4 comments:

  1. I love doing this challenge every summer. And when I read a book over 400 pages in September I think "Darn it! Why didn't I read that BEFORE labor day?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Helen!! In fact, my first book for RIP, Holly, was a Big Book!

      Delete
  2. Congrats to Tina for winning the coveted prize, and congrats to you for hosting my favorite challenge...and it looks like others agree with me. Twelve chunksters is mighty impressive for a summer. Thanks again for hosting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Super impressed by the number of your books completed. Which was your favorite? If I was voting from your list I'd choose Lonesome Dove.

    ReplyDelete