Friday, August 30, 2024

Friday56 - Trust by Hernan Diaz


This is my first time participating in Friday 56, but I've been meaning to for ages!  To participoate, gran the book you are currently reading, turn to page 56 (or 56% in an e-book), pick a passage, post it on your blog, and then link up with Anne at My Head is Full of Books.

I'm currently reading my last book of #BigBookSummer, Trust by Hernan Diaz.

From page 56 (actually, page 56 is blank, so this is from page 57, and it happens to be a passage I marked):

"Intimacy can be an unbearable burden for those who, first experiencing it after a lifetime of proud self-sufficiency. suddenly realize it makes their world complete. Finding bliss becomes one with the fear of losing it. They doubt their right to hold someone else accountable for their happiness; they worry that their loved one may find their reverence tedious; they fear their yearning may have distorted yheir features in ways they cannot see. Thus, as the weight of all these questions and concerns bends them inward, their newfound joy in companionship turns into  deeper expression of the solitude they thought they had left behind."

Join the fun!


5 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this one for awhile. I might have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to hurry up and review a bonus book (#5) that qualifies for Big Book challenge which I which finished recently: A Song for Achilles. // I liked TRUST. It is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rush, Anne - the links list for reviews stays open until the end of September :) I'm WAY behind with reviews!

      Delete
  3. Interesting blogging idea!

    ReplyDelete