Monday, July 29, 2024

It's Monday 7/29! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

 Life

I am still down and out from COVID, which hit me a little over two weeks ago. It's a known trigger for my chronic illness, an immune disorder called ME/CFS, so I knew I was in for a long haul. Last time I got COVID, in January 2022 from my father-in-law's nursing home, I was extremely sick for a month, and it took me six months to recover back to my "normal" baseline. I was able to get Paxlovid this time, so I am hoping that will shorten my recovery time, but we'll see. So far, about 16 days in, my sore throat is gone, I still have lots of mucus (never really got congested, just lots of extra mucus in sinuses and chest - sorry for the TMI!). My biggest issue is still--and likely will be for awhile--a complete lack of energy and very little stamina. I am now able to sit up for short periods of time during the day, I managed a few short, very slow walks around the cul-de-sac in front of our house, and I can spend a little more time on my laptop. But I am still living life from my "nest" on the couch!

Last week did include a few high points. I turned 59 on Tuesday, and I enjoyed a nice, low-key celebration with my husband and son. We had a delicious dinner together (I even sat at the table!), they showered me with gifts (including a Little Free Library!!), and I enjoyed their company.

Celebrating my birthday

My husband's going to build me a Little Free Library!

Books for my birthday, too!

We had beautiful weather this weekend, with rare low humidity and temperatures "only" in the mid-80's, so my husband drove me to a local state park where we sat by the river and read our books for an hour. It was lovely there and so nice to get out of the house and spend time outdoors. This was my consolation for having to cancel our two-week camping vacation to Michigan's Upper Peninsula (we were supposed to leave this weekend). I hope to re-plan that trip for next summer.


Beautiful summer day by the river

Reading in the park

Enjoying Big Book Summer by the Water

Sunday evening, we enjoyed the birthday gift my son gave to me: a fun night in! He picked up takeout from a wonderful local restaurant, and we played a new trivia game he gave me for Mother's Day--from the couches and recliners! I love to play games and rarely have the opportunity, so it was a lot of fun. He actually beat both my husband and I in the first game, but I managed to win the second game (one of my answers was Shaggy's (from Scooby Doo) "real name"! ha ha).

__________

On Video

I got back on Booktube last week!

Friday Reads 7-26-24 - my brief weekly update of what I am reading and listening to

__________

 What We're Reading


I am almost finished with the biggest of my books for #BigBookSummer, Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon. I'm so grateful for this enormous, epic story to lose myself in! This is book 4 in the Outlander series, and though last summer I said that book 3, Voyager, was my favorite so far, this one is giving it some stiff competition! Much of it is set in America, in western North Carolina in the Great Smoky Mountains, an area we have visited and love for its natural beauty. Jamie and Claire are basically homesteading there, in the wilderness, and I am loving the descriptions of that familiar natural world, as well as the historical details and plot twists inherent in this series. And there have been some big time-travel-related surprises that made me squeal in delight! I only have 30 pages to go and am very upset with Jamie and Claire right now for something they did (especially Claire because it was so out of character), so I hope the characters redeem themselves by the end! This has been a twisty, suspenseful, exciting ride and the perfect antidote for sick days.



I finally started a new audio book, The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune. Yes, I somehow missed this very popular novel, though I enjoyed Under the Whispering Door. What finally pushed me to read it is that the publisher (Macmillan) reached out to ask if I wanted an early audio review copy of the sequel, Somewhere Beyond the Sea. I said yes, figuring I could just request the first book from Libby and listen to it first. There's an 11-week wait! I rarely (never?) buy audio books because I get them from publishers and the library, but I finally bit the bullet and bought this one. It's an intriguing story so far, about a quiet man named Linus Baker who is a case worker for the Department in Charge of Magical Youth (DCMY). He is assigned to visit and assess a top secret facility (clearly, the title house). I only just started it this weekend, but I'm enjoying it so far, even though I don't normally read much fantasy.
 


My husband, Ken, is reading Lonesome Dove. He immediately dove into that amazing novel as soon as he returned from his trip (my review at the link). We are able to read together at night again, and he said he's enjoying it. The crew has just left Lonesome Dove on the cattle drive.


I finally had a chance to ask our older son, 29, last night, and he said he's still reading book 2 of the Licanius Trilogy by James Islington, An Echo of Things to Come since he started a new job last month and hasn't had any reading time! He's loving his new job so far.

 __________

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.
 
 
What are you and your family reading this week?

10 comments:

  1. I hope you will continue to feel better and get your energy back soon. Covid is really rough. I haven't read any of the Outlander books, but it's been on my radar for a long time now. What an absolutely gorgeous spot to sit and read. I am sorry you missed out on your camping trip tho. The UP is a special place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elisabeth. The Outlander series is outstanding but each book is a commitment! Perfect for Big Book Summer :) I can't wait to explore the UP next summer!

      Delete
  2. Covid is going around here right now. I hope, because you were able to get the Pavlovid right away, that you will get over Covid quicker than last time. Gosh, I'm sorry that you had to cancel your trip.

    I do love Lonesome Dove. Hope your husband does, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb - I hope so, too! Lonesome Dove was great - I think it may be my new #1 book of the year!

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of a fantasy reader either, but I also listened to the audio of The House on the Cerulean Sea and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's good to hear, Lisa. I'm enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  4. Belated happy birthday. Sorry you have been dealing with the lack of energy that Covid has given you, it must be even tiring to shower and dress. Ah I see Prince of Tides in your book gifts, that's great. Oh and a little library, you will love setting that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn. Yes, you're right - showering is exhausting! Though it helps with the congestion. I was very excited this weekend that I finally managed to shave my legs - ha ha Yes, I can't wait to read Prince of Tides! I've never read anything by Conroy. I saw the movie MANY years ago. And I can't wait to get the LFL set up :)

      Delete
  5. I am sorry that you are still feeling down and tired. Happy belated birthday! You are going to love having a little free library and won't your neighborhood be happy to get all your cast off books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I can't wait to get my LFL up! We DO live at the end of a cul-de-sac in a small neighborhood, but we are a neighborhood of avid readers and I will register it on the LFL site :)

      Delete