Monday, October 16, 2023

It's Monday 10/16! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

Life

After such a flurry of trips and family things the past month, last week was a much-needed quiet week at home! I took my elderly Book Buddy (a program through our local library) out for lunch on Thursday. Last time I visited her, she mentioned she's been very isolated and rarely leaves the house (she can't drive anymore), so I thought she could use an outing. We sat on the outdoor patio of a local restaurant on a beautiful day, and we both enjoyed it!

In fact, we had a whole week of beautiful fall days--low 70's and sunny every day--so I spent some time on our deck every afternoon. I know I will be longing for the chance to do that in another month! And, for the 4th or 5th weekend in a row, it rained on Saturday. My husband and I were lazy bums and just had a down day at home, which we both needed. Oh, and we booked one last vacation for the fall: campsites in two beautiful state parks in the mountains of Virginia next week. Sunday was household catch-up day, and I did some weeding, dusted upstairs (I can't do much cleaning, so I dust and my husband does the rest), and got our Halloween decorations up. All of that was probably too much for me, but so far, I am still doing OK this morning.

Writing reviews on the deck

My book cover matched the view Saturday!

__________

On the Blog

 Fiction Review: Upgrade by Blake Crouch - outstanding sci fi thriller with a chilling premise, great characters, and nonstop action & suspense

__________

On Video

 The King of Horror Stephen King Tag - while I rarely read horror, I greatly enjoy King's non-horror novels and have a long family history with his books and movies, so I enjoyed this theme--perfect for the season!

 

Friday Reads 10-13-23 - my brief weekly update of what I am reading and listening to each weekend. 

__________

 What We're Reading
I'm still enjoying the R.I.P. Challenge!

 

I finished reading The Butterfly Girl by Rene Denfeld, a sequel to her earlier novel, The Child Finder, which my husband and I both enjoyed. Naomi is an investigator who specializes in finding missing children. She herself was abducted as a child, but her memories begin with her escape from her captor. Naomi's younger sister was abducted with her and is still missing, after all these years, and Naomi has promised herself that the next person she finds will be her sister. She heads to Portland, Oregon, where young girls have been going missing in recent months, with six of them turning up dead in the river. Despite her determination to focus only on her sister, Naomi can't help noticing 12-year-old Celia who is living on the streets to escape an abusive stepfather and addicted mother. The novel was excellent, with the same suspense, attention to detail, and in-depth characters as the earlier novel. And the ending was not only satisfying but happy!

 

Now I am reading another book for the R.I.P. Challenge: Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick. This is a YA novel about the Witness Protection (WITSEC) program, a topic I always find intriguing (if you do, too, check out the TV show In Plain Sight). Way back in 2009, I enjoyed another novel by this author, Hush, Hush. That was paranormal romance, but this novel is firmly set in the real world. Estella witnessed a horrible murder by a dangerous criminal and has been taken into WITSEC to keep her safe and so that she can testify against him when he goes to trial. There's a whole criminal organization behind him, so her life is truly at risk. The federal marshals give her a new name, Stella Gordon, and resettle her in Thunder Basin, Nebraska, which is very different from her home in Philadelphia. Her mom is an addict, so Estella is used to being on her own and has trouble adjusting to the rules of the ex-cop posing as her foster mother. She begins to find some positives in small town rural life, in spite of herself, but she is still in danger. I'm loving this novel so far!

 

I finished listening to When Ghosts Come Home by Wiley Cash. It's a mystery set in coastal North Carolina. Sheriff Winston Barnes is awakened one night by a loud noise and goes out to investigate. On the small airfield near his house, he finds a private plane crashed on the runway, and a man who's been killed by a gun lying nearby. The man is a local, Rodney, who's always been a law-abiding citizen. Other perspectives are woven into the narrative, including Winston's daughter, Colleen, who is severely depressed after losing her baby, and Jay, Rodney's wife's younger brother, who's been sent to stay with them after getting in trouble at home in Atlanta. This was my first Wiley Cash novel, and the writing was just as good as I'd heard, and it was excellent on audio. In addition to the mystery, there is deep characterization here, along with emotional complexity and issues of race, crime, and class. The ending ... well, let's just say it was one of those endings that makes you go, "Wait, what?"

 

My husband, Ken, is still reading Kidnapped, a classic by Robert Louis Stevenson. Treasure Island was a favorite at our house when our kids were young. He says that so far, the writing and time period reminds him a bit of Great Expectations (which he read earlier this year on my recommendation), though the story is darker. He had his flu and COVID vaccines yesterday, so he's lying on the couch under a comfy blanket reading this now!

 

Our son, 29, read the first book in a new sequel series to Art of the Adept by Michael G. Manning, Wrath of the Stormking, and finished book one, Wizard in Exile. Now, he is reading The Shadow of What Was Lost by James Islington, book one of the Licanius trilogy.

 __________

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page
.
  


What are you and your family reading this week? 

12 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of the idea of book buddies at the local library but I really like the idea, especially for those like your buddy. I like the premise of The Butterfly Girl and er... the fact it had a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great program! And I didn't give away any spoilers for Butterfly Girl, but given it's dark topics, I wanted to let readers know it's a happy ending :)

      Delete
  2. I've never read any books by Wiley Cash. Sounds like an author to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first, but I would definitely read more.

      Delete
  3. As always, a good list of books for you and your guys. And your vacations sound fun. Virginia is such a beautiful state that a couple days camping in the woods will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lucked out with the weather forecast, Helen - supposed to be 70's all next week (here and there), so we're looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Yes, please tell us more about the Book Buddy program! We've been having bad-weather Saturdays all in a row here in Mass., too, but last Saturday was the Boston Book Festival, and we finally lucked out with some decent weather, and had warm sunshine at least for the first half of the day before it clouded over and got chilly. No rain, though, for a change!
    Wiley Cash has been on my radar for a long time, but Southern settings always put me off, for some reason, even though I've loved many books by Southern writers once I've given them a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely provide more details about Book Buddies in a later post! The Boston Book Festival sounds great. We went to the Baltimore Book Festival many years ago and loved it. Funny - reading Wiley Cash (set in NC), I didn't really think of it as "Southern fiction" - certainly, NC is a Southern state, but I guess I think of it differently than the "deep South." It reminded me very much of William Kent Krueker's standalone novels.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your review of Upgrade. I read it ages ago, and have just downloaded Recursion. I hope to get to it sometime this week.
    Until today, I had no idea that Stephen King wrote anything but horror!
    Like Laurie, I too want to know more about this Book Buddy program. I will have to see if there is anything like it here in my small town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy Recursion! Oh yes, some of Stephen King's best books are non-horror :) My favorites include 11/22/63 (historical fiction and time travel), Hearts in Atlantis (historical fiction - interrelated novellas and short stories), and Billy Summers (suspense/thriller but the first 2/3 is mostly character development - excellent).

      Delete
  6. Book Buddy sounds like a great program! And I just realized I forgot to put up Halloween decorations -- I need to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, get those Halloween decorations up! I love this season. My favorite holiday - all fun with no real work or obligations!

      Delete