Monday, August 28, 2023

It's Monday 8/28! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

Life

We had a fairly quiet week here. I had a painful procedure at the podiatrist on my toe, but it wasn't as bad as it's been previously. I was actually able to take a short walk the day after, and it's healing well, so that was a pleasant surprise. My energy and stamina are still lower than what I consider normal for me, due to some issues flaring up in my chronic illness, but I did manage several short walks in our neighborhood. On Sunday, I suggested to my husband that we take a walk, and he said, "Beyond the cul-de-sac?" So, we enjoyed a lovely walk along a creek on our favorite nearby trail. The humidity had dropped (back up now), so it was comfortable out, and this place to me is just the epitome of an idyllic summer day! I said that next time we should brings chairs and books and just set up by the creek for a while.

Cool, shady trail through the trees

My husband looking at the fish in the creek
 

My husband and I in our favorite spot!

Perfect summer day!
__________

On the Blog

  TV Tuesday: Togetherness - I really enjoyed this funny drama with a great cast and excellent writing, about four adults (in their 40's, I think) trying to figure out their lives. My review and the trailer at the link.

Fiction Review: The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles - I loved this delightful coming-of-age story about the heroes' journeys of three young men and an 8-year-old boy on a road trip in 1954. I;m still thinking about it more than a week later!

NOTE: The 2023 #BigBookSummer Challenge officially ends a week from today, on Monday, September 4. If you've been participating this summer, you are welcome to write or record a wrap-up post/video (not required) and add your link to the second links list (for Reviews and Updates) on the #BigBookSummer Challenge page. If you don't have a blog or YouTube channel (or even if you do), you can leave a comment on the challenge page or leave a comment in the Big Book Summer Goodreads group - I added a Wrap-Up discussion thread.

__________

On Video

Currently Reading Tag - this fun video is all about how and where I read. Check it out and tell me about YOUR reading habits! 

Friday Reads 8-25-23 - my brief weekly update of what I am currently reading and listening to

__________

 What We're Reading
 

I finished what is probably my last print book for the #BigBookSummer Challenge, Afterland by Lauren Beukes, author of The Shining Girls, which I loved. I bought this one for my husband last year. It's both post-apocalyptic and dystopian, chillingly set in 2023, about the aftermath of a pandemic that killed off more than 99% of the males in the world. Those who are left, many of them just boys, are in high demand, especially for reproductive purposes on the black market (in defiance of Reprohibition laws). A South African mom named Cole is stuck in the U.S. after her American husband dies. She is on the run with her twelve-year-old son, Milo (now in disguise as a girl named Mila), trying desperately to keep him safe from government research, black market criminals, and even her own sister. There is plenty of tension and suspense, and the world-building of this unique post-pandemic world is detailed and immersive. I finished it last night and enjoyed the very satisfying ending.
 
 
 
I am shifting my focus to the R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) Challenge for fall! It starts September 1 and runs through the end of October and simply means reading darker stuff for fall. So, the book I am starting today fits for both Big Book Summer and R.I.P., but I probably won't finish it by next Monday for Big Book Summer. I have a HUGE stack picked out for R.I.P., but I am starting with The Night Fire by Michael Connelly, book 3 in the Renee Ballard series (and book 22 in the Harry Bosch series. I love this new female LAPD detective Connelly created, and I enjoyed book 1, The Late Show, and really loved bringing the two detectives together in book 2, Dark Sacred Night. I'm ready for a dark, creepy, and suspenseful fall!
 
 
 
I do the same on audio, so my last choice for Big Book Summer also counts for R.I.P. Challenge: A World of Curiosities by Louise Penny, book 18 in her Inspector Gamache series. I was late to this series and have only read #1, Still Life, #15 A Better Man, and #17, The Madness of Crowds, but I enjoy these books on audio very much. This one goes back to when Jean-Guy and Inspector Gamache first met, working a horrific case involving murder and child abuse, and that case's continuing repercussions today. I suspect a modern-day murder is coming soon, too! It's excellent so far.
 
 
 
My husband, Ken, finished reading Breathless by Amy McCulloch, a book I gave him for Father's Day. This one is an outdoor adventure thriller, about  series of murders that occur on a remote mountaintop during a record-breaking climb of a series of summits. It sounds like a gripping and original story. He said it was very good, made even better by the fact that the author had climbed the mountain where the book takes place. Last night, Ken just started Open Season by Archer Mayor, book one in the Joe Gunther series, a mystery series set in Vermont.
 
 

Our son is reading book 12, Arcanistof the Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour. This one is a mere 845 pages! He's loving this series and has been reading nothing else for months. 

 __________

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.
 
 


What are you and your family reading this week?
 

8 comments:

  1. Great idea to have a few light chairs and to take time out at that walking track, looks glorious. Glad you are enjoying the Louise Penny, I am reading up from #1 and am only at #5, I like seeing all the back stories and where things are going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do wish I knew all the backstory, though I got some of it from watching the Three Pines TV show! But I just don't have the time to go back and read the whole series - so many good books and never enough time!!

      Delete
  2. I have never read a Louise Penny book, but I hear so much about them that I feel I should at least read one at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the first one was just good, not great. But they have become more complex and engrossing and intricate as the series has gone on. I really enjoy them on audio, and you don't have to start at the beginning, if you don't want to. If you decide to try one, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I forgot that RIP begins September 1, I better get planning for that one.

    I have only read the first Louise Penny but really enjoyed it. I've got to remember to read more of her novels.

    The walk near your house is beautiful and with lower humidity I bet it's so nice and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love RIP every fall! A chance to catch up a bit on all those mysteries, suspense, and thrillers that pile up on our shelves :)

      Delete
  4. I have a chronic illness that really drags me out and flares up from time to time so I get it. I'm glad you were able to get out for a bit of a walk at least.

    My husband is a huge Michael Connelly fan. I started one of his book but I was in a bit of a depression and needed something happy so I didn't get back to it. Hopefully I will someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa - I have a chronic illness, too (2 in fact, as does my son). I actually have a second blog all about living with chronic illness, in case you want to check it out. And definitely give Michael Connelly a try! He's such a great writer.
      Live with ME/CFS

      Delete