Monday, June 26, 2023

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Hosted by The Book Date

Life

Last week, I ... did nothing! ha ha It was my recovery/catch-up week after our lovely vacation. I actually worked a lot and got a lot done, both for work (writing) and for home, but I only left the house once, for massage therapy on Monday, and the only photos I took all week were of the sky for my #sky365 project. It was cloudy and rainy almost every day! Kind of boring, but I enjoy looking at the clouds--every day is different.




We did do something fun (and long overdue) on Friday evening, though I still didn't leave the house! Since my chronic illness was worse than usual the past few years, our good friends have hosted us for dinner--oh, probably 12 or 15 times in a row--without any reciprocation (they're those kind of amazing friends). Since I've been feeling a bit better recently, we were finally able to host them at our house! It was wonderful, and we had a fun evening together, with good food, my husband's signature cocktail, and lots of conversation, catching up, and laughs.

I might actually leave the house this week.

__________

On the Blog

Fiction Review: The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams - I loved this poignant, emotionally complex novel about how books can help people connect and build community.

Fiction Review: Billy Summers by Stephen King - my first #BigBookSummer read was outstanding, an intricate, gripping character study of a hit man with a moral code, on his last job. 

And, remember, there is still plenty of time to sign up for the Big Book Summer Reading Challenge! It runs until early September, and you only need to read one 400+ page book between now and then to participate. There's a whole community in our Goodreads group with fun Big Book chat all summer long.

__________

On Video

Catskills Travel Vlog: Camping, Kayaking, Local Towns, Food and Drink, Books and a Bookstore! - come along with us on our recent vacation to enjoy the natural beauty and fun of this wonderful region, with lots of video clips and photos.

Friday Reads 6-23-23 - brief update on what I have been reading

__________

 What We're Reading

 

I am still reading my biggest book of the summer, Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, book 3 of the Outlander series. At over 800 (large) pages, this is an intimidating Big Book, and it's been on my shelf for two years and was in my Big Book Summer stack last year! But as soon as I started reading it, I thought, "why did I wait so long?" She writes such fascinating, detailed historical fiction, with a touch of time travel and an epic love story at the center of it. The series is about a British woman in 1945 who goes back in time to 1700's Scotland. This book is no exception and was completely engrossing from the very first pages. I'm past the halfway point now, but I'll be reading this one for a while yet!

 

I've started my second audio book for #BigBookSummer Challenge, The Strangers, book one in the Greystone Secrets series by Margaret Peterson Haddix, one of my favorite middle-grade authors. Her books are always engrossing, with twisty plots and in-depth characters. This one focuses on three siblings: sixth-grader Chess (short for Rochester), fourth-grader Emma, and second-grader Finn. They are shocked to come home from school one day and see their mom watching the news, which is reporting that three kids--with their same names, ages, and birthdays!--have been kidnapped from another state. Then their mom takes off urgently on a business trip, and nothing seems right. It's excellent so far and already gripping.

 

My husband, Ken, is also enjoying Big Book Summer. He finished one of his biggest books, Matterhorn, a novel about the Vietnam War by decorated Marine Karl Marlantes. He said it was, of course, pretty grim, but an excellent, well-written book. 

 

Now, Ken has started one of his Father's Day gifts from me (and another Big Book, though just barely), The Quiet Boy by Ben H. Winters. He and I are both fans of Winters' The Last Policeman trilogy, but he says this novel is entirely different, a legal thriller with two trials woven together, one in the past and one in the present, involving malpractice and murder.

 

 Our son, 28, just finished the 1200-page book eight, Court Wizard, of the Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour.  He loves this series so much that he's diving right into book nine, Shadowmage, tonight. This one is only about 800 pages long!

 __________

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.
 
 


What are you and your family reading this week?

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had the chance to rest and get work done this week, Sue—I do hope you get to get outside this week, but I'm sure the calmness was much-needed! I'm impressed by your reading progress on Voyager—800 pages would definitely send me running for the hills, so it's exciting you're already halfway! The Strangers also sounds like an intriguing read as well. Thanks so much for the thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Max - this week is similarly low-key so far, but that's been good :) Still loving Voyager, and just today, I found out part of the secret/mystery behind The Strangers ... and, oooh, it's good!

      Delete
  2. Your friends sounds like wonderful people, but how great that you were finally able to invite them over for a change! I read partway through the Outlander series several years ago, but I can't remember how far I got with it. It was so good and I would like to continue but the books are SO BIG. haha. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kym - we are blessed to have such kind friends! Yes, the Outlander books are SO big! ha ha But I'm regretting staying away from it so long because they're also SO good!

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed The Reading List. And Voyager! I think I both read and listened to the audio of that. The narrator of those books is in a league of her own - amazing. Smiled when you said you might leave the house this week! Friday night sounds really perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet the Outlander books are wonderful on audio! I hadn't thought of that.

      Delete
  4. Your son wins for longest book so far this summer for your family. I hope you can leave the house this week. Take care.

    Here's What I'm Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha He always wins for the longest book! He thinks Big Book Summer is funny because he says a book isn't worth reading if it's under 400 pages! That's what comes from being an avid reader of epic fantasy, which is often huge books (and in long series, too).

      Delete
  5. It's so great to host sometimes, isn't it? But don't feel like things have to balance; in friendships and family balance comes from ability and desires, not weights. Enjoy your books and I have to do my Summer Book blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Beth - that is such a kind (and true!) thought. Luckily, my wonderful friends all think the same way! Looking forward to seeing your plans for Big Book Summer.

      Delete
  6. A quiet week at home is no bad thing and if it means you were able to host your friends for dinner? Even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for sure :) Enjoying another quiet week - still trying to catch up from our short vacation!

      Delete
  7. Margaret Peterson Haddix is always a great read :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! One of my favorites - such unique and intriguing plots!

      Delete
  8. I remember having to reading Greystone Secrets #1 for a committee I was on and then was so hooked I ended up reading the other two books in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that, Earl! I'm loving it so far. I used to do the same when I reviewed MG books for Family Fun magazine - I'd review one for the magazine and then get hooked and end of readng the whole series!

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear you are enjoying Voyager. I think it is the best of the series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete