Monday, May 02, 2022

It's Monday 5/2! What Are You Reading?

 Hosted by The Book Date

Welcome to May! (May? Really?) Our weather here is still cooler than usual, but we've had some nice days mixed in. I fear we will jump from temperatures in the 50's to the 80's and skip right past the good stuff! This is a two-week catch-up post because we took a couple of days off last week to go camping.

Our favorite campsite on the Elk River

 

It was our first time out for the season, and we can't go far (or for long) because of my elderly father-in-law, but it was nice to have a little break, while our son checked in on his grandad. We went to Elk Neck State Park in Maryland and stayed on our favorite campsite--see that wonderful water view? We love being right on the water--it's so calming and peaceful. From there, it's a short walk down to this little beach, which has been a favorite for spot of ours for decades--our sons loved to swim and play in the sand there when they were little.

My husband on the beach

My sons and I playing in the same spot in 1999!

It got a bit cool and very windy the second day, but a campfire helped keep things cozy, with plenty of reading time, of course!

Cozy by the fire with my book!

We returned home Tuesday by noon ... and then left again on Friday! I had another book signing at Browseabout Books, an amazing indie bookstore in nearby Rehoboth Beach, DE. We love the store, and we love the town, so we enjoyed another mini getaway after my book signing on Saturday. We had a great lunch with our son and his girlfriend and relaxed. We came back Sunday, in time to visit my father-in-law.

At my book signing Saturday

And I leave again on Thursday! After not traveling for more than two years, this few-week period with four trips is a bit overwhelming. Next weekend is Booktopia, an annual book event held at the fabulous Northshire Bookstore in Manchester, VT (click Events). My mom and I usually go together, though of course it was cancelled the past two years. All the regulars (Booktopians!) are super excited to get back there this week and see each other again ... but newbies are always welcome, too! It's a relaxed weekend of authors and readers hanging out together and talking books. There are still tickets available, and you can read my summary of Booktopia 2019 to get an idea of what it's like. The town is also wonderful, with lots of great inns and restaurants. 

My mom and I at Booktopia 2018

For obvious reasons, I only had time last week for one quick video, my usual Friday Reads summary of what I'm reading, but this one also includes some short videos of our camping trip, for your relaxation!


And, here's what we've all been reading the past two weeks:

My focus has been entirely on Booktopia books! The booksellers at Northshire chose eight books (all recent releases) whose authors will be at the event this weekend, so I try to read as many as I can ahead of time. After finishing Black Cloud Rising by David Wright Falade (which was outstanding), I moved onto The Violin Conspiracy by Brendan Slocumb. Wow, this novel was amazing! Perhaps my favorite of the Booktopia books so far (a tie with Country of Origin). It begins with a crime, the theft of a $10 million Stradivarius violin from Ray, a famous Black violinist. But this novel is so much more than just a mystery. The story moves back in time to look at how Ray got to the upper echelons of classical music, from his start as a poor Black kid playing a rental instrument, with no support from his family, classmates, or music teacher. It's also historical fiction, tracing Ray's family history (and the violin's history) back to slavery times, family drama, mystery, and so much more. You can hear a bit more in my Friday Reads video or read my review. I can't wait to meet the author this weekend!

 

I am now reading another Booktopia selection, The Verifiers by Jane Pek. This is a mystery/thriller with an intriguing main character and a great sense of humor. Claudia is sort of the black sheep of her "model minority" Chinese family, so she hasn't even told her family about her new job. She works for a company that people can hire to investigate their "match" from one of the many dating apps. One woman comes to them, and Cluadia investigates two men for her, but then the client dies suddenly. Since Claudia loves detective novels, she begins looking into the mysterious death, even though her bosses tell her to let it go. Claudia is an awesome protagonist, and the author has a wonderful way with words. I have been often laughing out loud while reading!

 

On audio, I finished listening to a new-release historical novel, The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn, my first of her novels. During WWII, a Russian woman became one of the war's deadliest snipers, better than her male counterparts. Mila is a single mother at the beginning of the book, working on her degree in history while managing a job in the library and bringing up her young son. Her shooting skills catch the eye of the Russian military, and she soon finds herself in the midst of war, where she quickly gains a reputation as "Lady Death." In 1942, she visits the White House with a contingent of Russians to try to convince President Roosevelt to enter the war and help provide a western front to assist in fighting off the Nazis. Then--and during the US tour that follows--Mila becomes friends with Eleanor Roosevelt. It's a wonderful novel, with fascinating historical detail but also an intimate look at this woman who was both a killer and a mother. Definitely recommended!

 

My husband, Ken, just finished reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara. Neither of us reads a lot of nonfiction and rarely true crime, but I got this book as a gift from my son's girlfriend and really enjoyed it. This chilling, captivating true story is about a serial rapist and killer in California who outwitted police for decades, mainly by moving around. Writer McNamara heard about some of the cases and began investigating on her own, eventually helping police to connect diverse cases all over the state before her untimely death. Her husband, actor Patton Oswald, and her research assistant finished the book. It's a riveting read, and Ken and I talked about it this weekend.

 

Now, Ken has started the new book I put in his Easter basket, Afterland by Lauren Beukes. I picked this one out for him because we both liked Shining Girls, by the same author, and we are very excited about the new TV adaptation that started this weekend on Apple TV, starring ... Elizabeth Moss! We can't wait to watch it. Meanwhile, this newer novel from Beukes is a post-apocalyptic story about a world where most of the men are dead. A twelve-year-old boy named Miles is one of the few boys left, and his mother will protect him at any cost, from the many women who want a piece of him: as a scarce reproductive resource, a sex object, or a substitute son. It's described as a high-stakes thriller that Stephen King said is "smartly written," so it should be good!

 

Our son is still enjoying the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. He finished reading book 5, Soul of the Fire, and immediately moved onto book 6, Faith of the Fallen. Keep in mind these books are each between 500-1000 pages! He's been working a lot, but his work includes downtime during his shift when he can read. He's loving this series!

New blog posts:

Fiction Review: This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger - I gave this extraordinary novel a perfect 10 in my book group - moving, suspenseful, warm historical fiction

TV Tuesday: Transplant - a medical drama with a twist, about a Syrian refuge doctor, struggling to make a new life for himself and his sister in Canada.

Fiction Review: The Violin Conspiracy by Brendan Slocumb - outstanding novel that mixes mystery, historical fiction, and family drama

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.  

What are you and your family reading this week?

17 comments:

  1. I don't see how you do so many trips so close together. We recently did a trip to WV (6 1/2 hours both ways), only being there a full day, and I was wiped out for 2 days when we got back! It was so much easier when I was younger. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something I would normally do, Cindy, especially with my chronic illness (and yes, my age)! Luckily, most of these (other than the upcoming trip to VT) have been very short trips close by - an hour or two for just a day or two. Enjoy your books this week!

      Delete
  2. Have a fantastic time at Booktopia! The idea of being at an in-person event that is all about boooks sounds so wonderful. I had tickets to the LA Times Book Festival last weekend, but ending up not going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I wish you lived on this coast, so we could meet up there!

      Delete
  3. We've been doing a lot of traveling back to back too. As Cindy says, it does seem like it was a lot easier when we were younger, except for having the little ones to take care of. I'm so excited for you to go to Booktopia! Your camping trip sounds relaxing, especially since you and your husband like camping. I'm more of a cottage vacation type, rather than a camper! I really need to read This Tender Land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little camper is very comfortable, with king-sized beds, a small kitchen, a couch and table - kind of like a little cottage on wheels :)

      I think you will love This Tender Land - great pick for the Big Book Summer Challenge, kicking off at the end of May!

      Delete
    2. I'm going to do better this year and start on time, at least! haha

      Delete
  4. Do you think the Violin Conspiracy would work well for a book club. One gal recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a perfect book group read, Anne!! So much depth to it, so many layers on so many topics - great discussion.

      Delete
  5. Camping does take you right away from ordinary life. I am not much of a camper, but the times I went I did find it lovely to be out in nature. Lovely spot there by the water. Hope you enjoy Booktopia, must feel like you are getting back to a little normal specks of life post Covid. Good to hear you enjoyed the Kate Quinn book on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, our kind of camping does not involve a tent or sleeping on the ground! We have a king-sized bed in our camper (2 of them, actually), and a nice little kitchen and couch :) Hardly anyone here is wearing a mask anymore, which just seems crazy and reckless to me, so I'm a bit nervous about the gathering, but these are book people - generally, well-educated and informed and considerate - and I will be wearing a mask! But, yes, it is nice to be getting out a bit again.

      Delete
  6. Looks like you've been pretty busy, but have still found time to read some great books. I've been intrigued with Booktopia for some time... and love Manchester, VT! The Violin Conspiracy is on my list, as is the new Kate Quinn. I discovered her last year with The Rose Code. The audio version of that one was excellent, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll have to join us at Booktopia one of these years! It's such a fantastic weekend with so many wonderful book lovers! Hope you enjoy your books.

      Delete
  7. You have had an amazing and busy time lately. How wonderful it must be to return to bookstores after such a long time away! And the camping looks fantastic.

    Thank you also for sharing these books with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice! Given my immune disorder, I am still being super careful and wearing a mask, but it is very nice to be getting out a bit again!

      Delete
  8. I loved this post and living vicariously through your travels and book events.

    ReplyDelete