Thursday, October 14, 2021

Books Read in September


I had an outstanding reading month in September, finishing my own Big Book Summer Challenge and diving into the beginning of the R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) Challenge! Besides my summary below, you can also check out my video September Reading Wrap-Up, where I talk a little about each book: what it's about, what I liked, etc.

Here's what I finished reading last month:

  • Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (Russia) - classic adult fiction
  • Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang (CA) - YA nonfiction graphic "novel"



 


So, I finished seven books in September. Six of them were fiction, with one nonfiction graphic "novel." Most were adult books, though I did read one YA book and one middle-grade/teen novel. I listened to two of my books last month on audio and read the rest in print. I enjoyed every single one of these--all 4's and 5's for me on Goodreads! My favorite is a tie between two very different books: The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd, historical fiction set in Biblical times, and The Sense of Reckoning by Matty Dalrymple, a ghostly mystery/thriller!

Progress in 2021 Reading Challenges:
You can see all of the reading challenges I am participating in and full lists of the books read for each at the challenges link above. I have some fun ones going this year!

Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2021 - Three of my books came off my own shelves (and the audios had been in my backlog for a while, too, but I only count the ones that take up physical space!). That's a total of 27 so far ... but my goal for 2021 is 48!
2021 Monthly Motif Reading Challenge - September was Back to School, and Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang fit perfectly, since it takes place in a high school.
Back to the Classics 2021 - I finally read another classic, Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy, and it was a whopper! I think it should count as two ...

2021 AtoZ Reading Challenge - Most of my spots are already filled (19 of 26), so none of these counted, but the mini challenge was memoir, and Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang is part-memoir.

PopSugar Reading Challenge 2021 - this is a unique one, with 50 quirky categories. My list is getting pretty full now, but I added another 2 categories to my list this month. That brings me up to 31:
  1. A book about art or an artist - The Lying Game by Ruth Ware
  2. Longest book on your TBR -  Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2021 Nonfiction Reader Challenge - Just one nonfiction in September, Dragon Hoops by Gene Luen Yang, and I added it to the Hobbies category.
Diversity Reading Challenge 2021 - Three of my books were diverse (25 so far for the year), though I didn't get the mini challenge.
Travel the World in Books Reading Challenge - Lots of international travel in my books last month, with notable stops in Russia, Israel, and Egypt (and lots more in the UK and Canada).
2021 Literary Escapes Challenge - No new states, and I am only at 18 so far for the year.

2021 Big Book Summer Challenge - I added 3 more Big Books in early September, for a total of 12 for summer 2021! Ironically, many of my September books were still Big Books.

R.I.P. Readers Imbibing Peril Challenge - I kicked off this annual fall challenge with four darker, creepy books in a variety of genres.

And finally, Bookish Bingo hosted by Chapter Break - not really a challenge per se, but a fun game that I play each month! Stop by to print out this month's Bingo card and play along. In September , I filled 17 spaces on my bingo card.

Anna Karenina - new-to-you author, woman on the cover

Dragon Hoops - Set in a school

A Better Man - audio book, love triangle

The Book of Longings - book club read, library book, not in a series, historic setting

A Corner of White - weather on the cover, free book, in a series

The Lying Game - enemies/frenemies, shelf love

The Sense of Reckoning - read a physical book, travel/journey

Free Space

 

What was YOUR favorite book read in September?  

3 comments:

  1. It's the time of year when I begin to seriously take a look at my challenges and how I've done (and if I'll finish them all). You are doing well on yours!

    I just got a copy of a the new Louise Penny book that she co-wrote with Hilary Clinton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to use my challenges just to track my reading, rather than to guide what I choose to read ... though the Classics challenge does help to remind me to pick up a classic now and then!

      The Louise Penny/Hilary Clinton novel sounds great!

      Delete