Monday, September 07, 2020

It's Monday 9/7! What Are You Reading?

Happy Labor Day to my U.S. readers! Hope you are enjoying your long weekend.

It was another rough week health-wise due to my chronic illness; I only had a couple of good days and spent much of the week on the couch. It was frustrating, especially when I did the right thing and rested on Friday but still felt awful on Saturday. BUT, I have now felt OK for two days in a row (!), so I am hopeful I am past the worst of this latest downturn. I'm trying to keep my meds stable and be very careful not to overexert. It's a rollercoaster sometimes!

I did manage a visit to see my 95-year-old father-in-law yesterday, which I know cheered him up! And today, my husband and I finally took a little time off for ourselves and ate breakfast out (safely, of course) and enjoyed a short (and flat!) walk in a local park. Our son who recently moved out is coming for dinner tonight, so that will be nice, too, to have all four of us together.

Tomorrow is the official end of the 2020 #BigBookSummer Challenge! I have been busy finishing up my last Big Books, in print and on audio. I am a bit behind on my reviews (and visiting your reviews!) because of not feeling well lately, but no worries--the links list for reviews and challenge wrap-ups (not required) will remain open for new entries through the end of September on the challenge page.

Here's what we've all been reading this past week:

Yesterday, I finished my last Big Book Summer Challenge print book, David Copperfield by Charles Dickens! I have been wanting to read it for ages since I love Dickens, read several of his books in school, and so many people have told me that this one is their favorite. I was immediately pulled into the story and loved the title character, who--like many of Dickens' characters--is a good person who suffered some horrible mistreatment as a child. David's father died before he was born, but he had a warm, loving relationship with his mother and with the kind maid/nurse who helped care for them both. The trouble begins when his mother remarries (nice to see an evil stepfather, for a change). The novel follows David through the twists and turns of his life--and there are lots of twists! It really is a VERY big book, but I enjoyed it all the way through. Dickens' writing is so clever and witty that the novel, like his others, is highly entertaining and very funny. And now I just heard there is a new movie adaptation just released--can't wait to see it!

And last night, I officially made the switch from Big Book Summer to the annual fall R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) Challenge, which is focused on genres like mystery, thriller, supernatural, and other darker themes. My first book for R.I.P. is a nonfiction true-crime book, The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk Wallace Johnson. It is the first book chosen for my book group's new reboot via Zoom (we meet online later this week). I've just started it, but it's already a stunning story. Back in the 1800's, a bunch of naturalists (think Darwin and his contemporaries) collected rare, colorful birds (ironically, these guys killed and skinned these extremely rare birds!), leading to an almost priceless collection in the British Museum of Natural History. In 2009, along came Edwin Rist, a flutist who took an evening train to the museum, climbed a short wall, broke a window, and stuffed his suitcase with hundreds of these extremely rare birds ... and got away! The book is already fascinating.

I decided to squeeze in one more Big Book on audio! Can I do it? Not sure, but I'm trying! I chose a YA novel of just 400 pages, A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena. It's set in Saudi Arabia, and the two main characters die in a car crash in the prologue, then the rest of the novel looks back at their lives and how they ended up there. Zarin, an Indian immigrant and an orphan who lives with her aunt and uncle, has never felt like she belongs--not with her cruel aunt, not among the girls she goes to school with, and not in this place. The one person she truly connects with is Porus, another Indian immigrant in the same town, a boy she develops a close friendship with and the only one who knows her secret. The novel digs into issues of race, class, and religion, from an entirely different perspective than American teens are used to, but also into things like belonging, social media, and other topics all teens can relate to. The audio is excellent, with multiple narrators piecing together Zarin and Porus' stories. Going to try to finish by tonight!

My husband, Ken, is reading a historical thriller from my Dad's book collection that we inherited, Hornet Flight by Ken Follett. We both love Follett's novels, and this is one of his many spy war thrillers. It's set in 1941 during WWII and focuses on an eighteen-year-old young man who discovers a secret that could change the war for England. He needs to tell someone, but his only way to get to England from an isolated island is with an old Hornet Moth biplane, rusting in a barn. It sounds like an intriguing and unique premise, and knowing how Follett writes thrillers, I'm sure it is action-packed, twisty, and suspenseful. This is actually another Big Book, though my husband didn't expect to finish it in time. Follett is known for his page-turners, though, and he's only got 30 pages to go!

Our son, 26, finished a birthday gift from his girlfriend (she knows him well!), Red Country by Joe Abercrombie, one of his favorite fantasy authors. He loved reading The First Law trilogy by this author, and this book is one of three sort-of stand-alone novels that are set in the same world but focused on different characters. This one is about Shy South, a woman who's been wronged and sets out to get her family back. Even though it's fantasy, this book has an Old West feel to it (though with swords, not guns--an important distinction for my fantasy-loving son), including wide plains, a frontier town, and a gold rush. He thoroughly enjoyed this new glimpse into a familiar world from a different perspective.


Now, our son has turned to a birthday gift we gave him (are you seeing a pattern here?), Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell, which is the first book in the Spellslinger series. A fellow book blogger, Beth Fish Reads, recommended this one to me for my son because she knows he loves the same kinds of fantasy novels she does, so thank you! Kellen lives in a magical world and must prove his skills as a spellcaster in his first duel. The problem is that his magic is fading. He must risk everything--and use only his wits--to try to get his magic back. A mysterious traveler may be Kellen's only hope. Our son is loving the novel so far; he just started it this week and will probably finish it today! He definitely wants to read the rest of the series.



Blog posts last week:
TV Tuesday: Sex Education - a warm, hilarious show we loved

Fiction Review: The Dutch House by Ann Patchett - the lives of a brother and sister, connected by tragedy, with an outstanding audio read by Tom Hanks!

What Are You Reading Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, so head over and check out her blog and join the Monday fun! You can also participate in a kid/teen/YA version hosted by Unleashing Readers.

You can follow me on Twitter at @SueBookByBook or on Facebook on my blog's page.   

What are you and your family reading this week?
   

20 comments:

  1. So so happy your son likes Spellslinger as much as I did. I too thought Feather Thief was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the rec! He loved it :)

      I really wasn't interested in reading Feather Thief when I first heard about it, but now I see why it got so much attention! That's what book groups are good for :)

      Delete
  2. I guess October is around the corner with that kind of reading change! Hope you are okay now, but I guess for you every day is different. I bet your father-in-law did really enjoy your visit, those kinds of things matter. All the best for the coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kathryn - that's it exactly - life is like a rollercoaster!

      The pandemic has been especially hard on the elderly.

      Delete
  3. Hope you're feeling better. I was disappointed with A Girl Like That so it will be interesting to see what you think once you've finished it. I didn't not like it, but it didn't quite do it for me either. I'm off to post my Big Book wrap up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an unusual novel, for sure. Not a lot of hope in it, since you know they die from page 1!

      I need to do my Big Book Wrap-Up this week, too!

      Delete
  4. I loved The Feather Thief. I'm so glad that my book club has continued to meet. We had already met in March when every shut down and switched to Zoom in April. We even added a mid-month meet up just to chat and not feel so isolated. Check out what I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Both of mine stopped meeting in March, so I have missed them. Now I need to convince my neighborhood book group to give Zoom meetings a try!

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you've been having a rough time, even when you're doing what you know you should. That's miserable! :(

    A Girl Like That sure has a unique start -- how did I not know about it? I think I'll have to add it to my list. I merely posted my "big book" total at the end of my post this week since I kinda fell off the planet for most of August. I was glad to squeeze in five, this summer. Surely next year I'll do better. Thanks for hosting, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Shaye! Five Big Books is excellent - I'm surprised you fit any in with all you've had going on this summer! Glad you could join the fun.

      Hopefully, you can have a much calmer, quieter fall!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on powering through the Big Book Summer Challenge despite some down days. I loved The Dutch House on audio! Right at the very beginning, I found Tom Hanks' voice as the audiobook narrator distracting but he quickly won me over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I found Hanks' voice incredibly soothing at first - like he was telling me bedtime stories!

      Delete
  7. I was not expecting to see a YA novel where the protagonists are dead, so A Girl Like That sounds quite intriguing! I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well, but congrats on still getting a few things in over the long weekend! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Enjoy your books this week!

      Delete
  8. We love watching Sex Education in this house too, it’s so well done, both the adults and the kids are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear you like it, too, Heather! We finished the first two seasons, but it's been approved for a third in 2021 - yay!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for hosting #BigBookSummer Challenge again this year. It motivates me to read books that I might otherwise leave to languish on my list. I actually read 10 this year!
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Cheriee! Wow, 10 Big Books is great!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for hosting the BIGBOOKSUMMER this year -- I probably won't make a new post to summarize but I did go back and update my start. I had a good time both picking out fat books to read and celebrating when I accidentally picked up a chunkster (hello book club!).

    I'm sorry you weren't feeling well this week and I hope your new balance lasts. It should be fun to see your book club friends; about half my clubs switched to online and I'm glad to still hang out with people I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the challenge this summer, Beth!

      Delete