Friday, May 24, 2019

My Big Book Summer 2019

I have just announced the 8th year of my annual reading challenge, Big Book Summer Challenge, so I guess I should be the first to sign up!

I always enjoy tackling some big books in the summer, and I'm looking forward to doing it again and finally reading some of these bricks that have been collecting dust on my shelf (NOTE: for this challenge, a Big Book is defined as a book with 400 pages or more).

I probably won't get through all of these, but I like to have some options to choose from. These are all currently on my shelves, waiting patiently to be read (along with many others!):

 

  • Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (959 pages!)
  • The City of Mirrors (#3 in The Passage trilogy) by Justin Cronin (602 pages)
  • The Air You Breathe by Frances De Pontes Peebles (449 pages)
  • The Likeness by Tana French (466 pages)
  • Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (453 pages)
  • Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge (483 pages)
  • The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (536 pages)
All of these also qualify for my Mount TBR reading Challenge 2019 (which is good because I'm not doing very well on it so far this year). Two of them will also count for my Back to the Classics 2019 Challenge, which I am also behind in. Gone with the Wind is also the current selection for the readalong for the Book Cougars podcast, so feel free to join in the fun! The Time Traveler's Wife is a re-read that one of my book groups just chose for July, and since it is one of my all-time favorites, I do plan to re-read it, and Fly By Night is a middle-grade novel, so that one should be pretty quick. The City of Mirrors is a carry-over from last year's Big Book Summer, so I really want to get to it and finish the series this time. I doubt I will get through all of these, but I will try!

This weekend, I will be starting Gone with Wind, the biggest of my Big Books, so my Big Book Summer is officially kicked off!

How about you? Are you up for tackling a Big Book (or two or three) this summer?  Join me and sign up for the 2019 Big Book Summer Challenge! The rules, details, and link-ups are on that page.

(Note: You don't need a blog to participate - you can either leave a comment on the Challenge page or sign up in the 2019 Big Book Summer Goodreads group

Join me in some bookish summer fun!

16 comments:

  1. That's a good set of books. I am going to go to my TBR shelf and see what chunksters I've got waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with the big book challenge! Looks like some nice variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane! Your summer line-up looks great!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to join in for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, you just MUST read Catch-22! It is the only book I've ever read more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely will, Davida! I bout it this winter with the express purpose of reading it for Big Book Summer - it's been on my must-read list for a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve read 4of yours, and GWTW is a fav

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:10 PM

    I read Gone with the Wind years ago. It took me 3 weeks, but it was worth it. It's in my top ten books to read before you die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am already at 3 weeks and just past halfway :) I am loving it!! Glad you enjoyed it, too.

      Delete
  9. I finished one and am almost 40% into a second one. I doubt I'll read a third one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice going, Davida! Two Big Books in one summer is an accomplishment :)

      Delete