Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Fiction Review: Everybody's Son

Way back in May, I mentioned I was reading Everybody's Son by Thrity Umrigar, to review for Shelf Awareness. My review was recently published - you can read the full review on Shelf Awareness.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel by an author I greatly admire.  I loved her novel, The Space Between Us, back in 2009, as did all of my book group. That novel was about class differences and clashes in India. Her latest novel, Everybody's Son, is about class differences here in the US, as well as racism, family, and adoption.

The novel was compelling and engaging, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes fictional family dramas, especially those that explore issues of race and identity in our modern world. Check out my full review.

Have you read any novels by Thrity Umrigar? Any that you would especially recommend? I missed a bunch of them in between these two, so I would like to go back and read more!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good. We have wanted to read The Space Between Us in book club but have never gotten to it. Maybe we should shift our thoughts to this one.
    I just added another Big Book Challenge link. Who knows maybe I'll get three big books this summer. My current read, Five Days at Memorial is over 500 pages. Gulp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would still definitely recommend The Space Between Us, too - everyone in my book group enjoyed it. You can see my review at the link above. One deals with class struggles in India and the other in the US....read them both! ha ha

      I've really wanted to read Five Days at Memorial - close to our hearts since we used to live in New Orleans. I heard some amazing interviews with the author when it first came out.

      Delete